Author Topic: FoodSaver  (Read 4112 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
FoodSaver
« on: July 03, 2013, 11:26:24 PM »
For those of you out there looking for a way to freeze meat you buy in bulk, or save the leftovers from a smoke, I suggest you check out FoodSaver vacuum sealers!  I personally have the "pro" model (a little harder to find, but worth it), but the models you get at WalMart, Sam's or Costco will work well, too.  I've owned various models of these since 1989, and swear by them!  Saved us a ton of money.

When you vacuum pack your raw meat, it removes all of the air.  It will last in the freezer for up to a year!  When you thaw it out, it's every bit as good as fresh-from-the-store!  Try freezing hamburger meat by just wrapping it, or in its original packaging; when you thaw it, it's watery and won't hold together.  When it's been frozen in a FoodSaver bag, it comes out just like it was the day you bought it!

Extra butts, ribs, or whatever, will be fresh when you thaw them!  Also, you're leftovers from a smoke will last in the fridge much longer - and taste like the day you smoked it!

If anybody knows of a more economical vacuum sealer than the FoodSaver models, chime in!

...just my 2-cents worth on food preservation!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

DivotMaker

Re: FoodSaver
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 09:05:44 PM »
No opinions on food preservation out there??  I thought this one might get some replies!  Guess they can't all be as exciting as "real" bbq accessories!  LoL.   ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 10:29:14 PM »
Sorry, was administering a final exam.  My ex went through Food Savers like they were going out of style but they get the job done.  A good trick to use with wet/sauced/brined foods is to bag it and put it unsealed in the freezer with the bag folded over and held in place with a binder clip to firm up; then, use the pulse mode to remove the air before sealing and you've got a tight seal.

Though I can't justify the $650 on a chamber sealer (my butcher and local-BBQ guru uses one of those monster $3000 machines that can seal everything short of a T-Rex) I did splurge a bit on a commercial grade Ary Vacmaster 260 (one of their countertop units).  I'll post that under a review when I get time ...
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

DivotMaker

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 10:47:14 PM »
Ha!  I knew I could count on you, Joe!  I also find a good method to seal really juicy stuff is to prepare it, place it in the bag, and then set it in the freezer for an hour or two to firm-up the surface.  Pulls a really good vacuum, and no juices gum up the works.  I'll check out the Ary.  Thanks!
Tony from NW Arkansas

DivotMaker

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 07:26:46 PM »
 I've had my Professional II model for several years, but now I see FoodSaver no longer makes it!  Being a model that fit between the basic homeowner model, and commercial models, must not have been profitable enough.

If I was going to buy one today, I'd seriously consider the Ary VacMaster Pro 260.  It's the one Joe recommended, so it has to be good!  :D   It has a lot of the features I liked about the FS Pro (manual/auto capability, durability of construction, to name a couple).  Found it on Amazon here:

http://www.amazon.com/VacMaster-Pro-260-Vacuum-Sealer/dp/B008Q7NJEI/ref=sr_1_26?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1373498285&sr=1-26&keywords=vacuum+sealer

Pretty good-looking unit, and has lots of good reviews.  I know $170 sounds like a lot for a vac sealer, but it is so worth it.  It'll pay for itself many time over, and should last for many years. 
Tony from NW Arkansas

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 07:41:19 PM »
Yeah ... I need to post a review of the VacMaster I suppose.  The Food Savers are a reasonable (and very budget friendly) option but I haven't seen the reliability from those purchased at Wal-Mart or Target that I'd like to see ... obviously I can't speak for the Pro versions.

One of the big things that drew me to the Ary VacMaster was the replaceable seal bar as well as the quality of the compressor; one thing I didn't know at the time was that their precut bags and rolls are high quality and actually cheaper than the Food Saver branded bags.

I'll try to fast-track a review ...
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 07:47:47 PM »
Thanks, Joe!  We definitely need a "viable alternative" since my beloved Pro is no longer available.  Same thing with the Pro model - very well-built, replaceable seals, etc.  I bought my current one about 8 years ago, and it still purrs like a kitten!  It outlasted 2 of the "big box" models I had before discovering the Pro (poor quality; all about price-point with the WalMart model).  Besides, the Ary is a "good looking" unit! 
Tony from NW Arkansas