Author Topic: Cheese, spices and the AMNPS  (Read 3146 times)

Muttley

Cheese, spices and the AMNPS
« on: October 15, 2013, 11:40:13 AM »
Did it! 

Morning temps were cool.  I had a pound or so of pepper jack that has been mocking me for months now.  You may have followed my posts about my AMNPS testing in my #2, maybe not, but I was having some mild issues with air flow and temp.  Air seemed low, temps were high. 

I took out the smoker box altogether to promote air flow.  I filled up the drip pan with ice and put it directly below the cheese.  I put a tin foil tent over the AMNPS to prevent any condensation from dripping on the wood. 

I put the cheese in for two hours, checking on it at the one hour mark.  I decided at that point to put a air pump into the drip hole to "promote" a little more air flow.  I did so more as an experiment more than anything. 

I pulled the cheese at 2 hours, and it was cold to the touch when I pulled it.  Not sure what the outside temp was, but internally the smoker never got above 56F.  One thing I noted and I think it is a result of the cold temp inside, smoke was mostly coming from around the doors and drip hole vs coming out the exhaust vent.  I think the ice had that much of an impact the density would allow the smoke to rise out of the top.  Since I opened the smoker to pull the cheese, the internal temp has risen to 70, and I am seeing smoke out the top now.  So, I'm not a science major, but I am guessing my air density theory is correct.

The cheese is drying before I vac-seal for a minimum of three weeks.

Since I have the smoke going, I put in some coarse and fine sea salt, pepper and garlic just to give it a try.  Going in for a minimum of 5 hours.  I'll post pics when I am done.

At 2.5 hours, the smoke being generated.  Internal temp is 73F.

Muttley

Re: Cheese, spices and the AMNPS
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 07:42:10 PM »
So, it's been a couple of weeks.  I'd call the cheese so far a success.  I did two batches, same variety of cheese (Vermont Incredibly Sharp Cheddar), one for an hour, one for two hours.  I put them both up the the Pepsi challenge, and my esteemed panel of judges had no harsh words about either. 

Personally, I don't care for the extra sharp cheddar, it was a poor choice of cheese on my behalf, it's just not what I wanted in a cheese. 

I still have some jalapeno cheddar (from Wisconsin!!) and some fresh mozz aging.  What I learned from the fresh mozz, get it in a bag right away.  Don't let it air out, it will loose a lot of moisture.  I let it sit for an hour and that was too long.  We'll see how it turns out.  I suspect it will be good.  Thinking meatball subs...