Author Topic: Just ordered my Model #2. Now waiting like a kid at Christmas.  (Read 11301 times)

psoltesz

• Model #1 Owner
Re: Just ordered my Model #2. Now waiting like a kid at Christmas.
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2013, 11:49:35 AM »
Hey there,

Sorry about your brie-tastrophe.  I started a thread for Smoked Cheese over in the "Everything Else" category...posted a video that walks through the process. 

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=741.0

I've done several cheese smokes following the method described in the video and they've all come out great.

Check it out and let me know what you think.

Enjoy!

- Phil
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 12:08:16 PM by psoltesz »
I'm your huckleberry...

drken567

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2013, 03:48:03 PM »
Tried this all again, based on Phil's technique. I used a sharp cheddar  and smoked for 2 x 20 min. periods separated by an hour and using a tray of ice water on top of the cold-smoke plate. Still lost some to melting, so maybe I'll try 2 x 15 minute smokes next time, and/or more ice/lower temps. Things are promising, just not quite there yet....

afratki

• Owner: Smokin-It #1
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2013, 04:53:53 PM »
Glad to hear you're making progress. I still haven't tried to smoke any cheese yet (I have the smoke plate) but hope to soon.
Andrew from Maryland

Let's Smoke!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2013, 08:33:45 PM »
I tried some cheddar this weekend with apple smoke.  It was definitely a learning experience!  I followed the 20-min on/40 min off method, with ice, and it came out so-so.  I did it twice, but it's not very smokey.  Here's my analysis of my experience:  cooker temp stayed ok with the ice in there - no melting.  Not enough smoke - I think I used too big of a chunk, and it just didn't generate enough smoke in 20 min.  I did see a little smoke coming out the blow hole (sorry, that's what I call it), and capped it with a glass when "off" (to hold the smoke in, but am not pleased with the results.

Plan for next time:  Chips instead of chunks, and a little stronger wood (hickory?).  It just didn't taste like I thought it would.  Any ideas, guys? 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

MNGuy1959

• Every Day is a great day for smokin'
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2013, 06:06:28 PM »
Hi Tony:

First of all, I hope my Vikes surprise your Packers and dominate this year :).  Well, I smoked different cheese last week and they turned out pretty darn good.  I bought the cold plate, added some ice and smoked with chips for about 20 minutes at 170 and then turned off for forty minutes.  I did three different batches with wood chips variety (I tried apple first, then Peach and hickory, and finally alder with some grape vine chips).  They all seemed a bit strong at my sample tasting right out of the smoker.  I refrigerated for about 5 days, and the smoke seemed to mellow and go deeper into the cheeses.  My variation was mozzarella, butterkase, cheddar, and swiss.  My wife is not a fan of smoked cheese, but my buddies love it.  It is just fun trying new things in my Model 2.   
Gene from Minnesota
Proud owner of Model #2, Auber, and Jerky dryer

The worst smoking results are still better than being at the office!!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2013, 08:55:36 PM »
Good luck with that hope for the Viqueens, MNguy! LOL.  Good info on your cheese smoke.  I took my apple-smoked cheese and vac-sealed it, then in the fridge for a week.  Tasted better after sitting.  I took some to work, with a pork loin for sammies, and it got rave reviews.  One guy kept going back for more, and told me he didn't even like smoked cheese, but loved this!  Weird... I guess it didn't meet my taste expectations, but was good for others.  I also threw some slices of it on burgers last weekend - wow!  The smoke flavor really came out when it was melted on the grill! 

I'm going to try more soon, just haven't had a lot of extra time lately.  Smoking meat takes priority when time is a factor.  ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!