Author Topic: how much smoke comes out of the #1 smoker?  (Read 6662 times)

lstoneman1970

how much smoke comes out of the #1 smoker?
« on: June 20, 2013, 09:59:06 AM »
I live in a condo and am considering the #1 as long as the condo association says its ok (can't have firegrills but electric is ok). My question is how much smoke comes from the smoker and would overwhelm the upstairs neighbors and cause an issue. I realize some factors can determine how much smoke is generated. Anyone have one on their condo balcony?

Thanks
Lewis

afratki

• Owner: Smokin-It #1
Re: how much smoke comes out of the #1 smoker?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 10:53:16 AM »
I think a lot is going to have to due with your neighbors.

The smoke from my #1 (or any Smokin-It smoker) is very light but very aromatic. In other words its not a choking smoke but you can smell it from a pretty good distance. I personally love the smell but if a neighbor didn't find it pleasant, it could be a problem. 
Andrew from Maryland

Let's Smoke!

cundvale

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 02:29:06 PM »
We had an Alton Brown flower pot smoker on the deck of our condo?  It put out a lot of smoke.  Never had a complaint and we had half of downtown Greenville smelling like Memphis in May.  You could have a problem, it will depend on your neighbors. We were close to a coffee roaster and when they were roasting, it smelled like some was burning dirty sox.  BBQ smoke is devine.
Smokin-It #1

lstoneman1970

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 04:27:19 PM »
I do live across from a sewage treatment facility although it rarely smells. I was thinking of putting a small fan on top to disperse the smoke quicker. Still bottom line is checking my condo rule book to see if there are any regulations against electric smokers on the balcony.

Thanks for the responses.

es1025

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 07:17:24 PM »
I would tell you that two dowels of woods puts out a nice bit of smoke.  Not a heavy fog but a consistent flow.  If you sit outside you will absorb the hickory smoke in your clothes.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 07:28:14 PM »
My condo has a similar restriction but I've had my #3 cleared for use on my balcony with no complaints.  With the cover on it's innocuous looking and the smoke itself isn't heavy enough to be a concern for people down on the ground or near the pool area.

From an insurance perspective, it is an electric device (no open flame) so you should be good to go.
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!