Author Topic: This past weekends smoke  (Read 5556 times)

afratki

• Owner: Smokin-It #1
This past weekends smoke
« on: June 04, 2013, 05:51:20 PM »
I thought I’d post my smoke from this past weekend maybe to inspire a newbie like me or get some suggestions from the more experienced smokers on this forum.

I headed to the local supermarket Saturday morning not sure what I wanted to smoke yet but leaning towards something pork. Safeway had their Select Back Ribs on sale for $3.99/lb, they looked good and I thought that was a pretty good price so I picked up a rack just under 4 lbs. I also saw some chicken wings that looked good so I picked up a 5 lb economy pack.

As soon as I got home I threw the wings in the fridge, unpacked the ribs, gave them a good rinse and dry, smeared them in yellow mustard, sprinkled some McCormick’s Pork Dry Rub, wrapped them in plastic wrap and stuck them in the refrigerator.

I got up Sunday morning trying to think of a way to infuse some flavor into the wings I purchased so I wiped up a quick water, salt, and sugar brine and split it between three freezer bags. In one I put ½ cup of Buffalo Wing sauce, ½ cup teriyaki sauce in another and fresh chopped garlic in the last. I separated the wing pieces, split them between the bags and put them in the refrigerator to soak.

At noon I unwrapped the ribs (after about 26 hrs), cut the rack in half, and put them on the middle shelf of the #1 at 225 with a 2 oz dowel of hickory in the box. My intention was to use the 3-2-1 method on the ribs so after 3 hrs I took them out, wrapped them in foil with a ¼ cup of apple juice in each and back in the smoker on the top shelf. Just before removing the ribs to foil, I had taken the wings out of the fridge (after about a 6 hr soak), gave them a good rinse and dry, and after getting a little creative I managed to fit them all on one rack (I really need to order that third rack). In they went into the #1 on the middle shelf. I checked the wood box and there were only ashes so I added another 2 oz. dowel of hickory.

Time got away from me and I didn’t get back to the smoker for 2 ½ hrs so I decided to take everything out and finish them up on the gas grill to give them a little crisp. On the first ½ rack I used Sweet Baby Rays Honey BBQ sauce and on the other I brushed on some of the drippings that I saved from a fattie I prepared the weekend before. Once they were caramelized, I wrapped them back up in the foil to rest. Next I took each batch of wings and dipped them in a bowl of their respective buffalo, teriyaki and a garlic-butter sauce I made, and on the grill they went until the skin was crisp.

The results: everything was very moist and very tender and delicious. My wife and I both agreed the drippings from the fattie didn’t add much flavor so I probably won’t do that again. The wings in general were a little over smoked but they still were good with the teriyaki and garlic sauces. We both agreed that the smoky flavor didn’t go well with the buffalo sauce though.

Overall I’m really happy how I all went and can’t wait to smoke again. Unfortunately I’m out of town this weekend so it will be a little while.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 09:06:18 PM by afratki »
Andrew from Maryland

Let's Smoke!

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
Re: This past weekends smoke
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 07:58:07 PM »
Sounds like a success!  It's a shame you have to take a weekend off since you're on a roll ...

With regard to the wings, a one-step alternative is to do a 24-hour marinade in the fridge with wings rather than the brine/marinade combo.  For example, I did four pounds of whole wings in a marinade consisting of light soy sauce, hoisin sauce, Chinese five spice, pineapple juice (from concentrate), and a tiny bit of both chicken base and sesame oil.  After a 2-3/4 hour smoke at 250 with 2.5 oz. of cherry wood (spritzing with pineapple/soy mix at the one and two hour marks) I pulled them and did a quick broil with a coating of teriyaki sauce.  They were a nice change from my typical smoked wings and were not hurting for flavor.

I will say that stripping the silver skin off the bottom of the ribs during prep does lend a bit more flavor to the meat, especially with a 24+ hour rest in the fridge; not sure if you took that step or not.  Also, try the Sweet Baby Ray's Brown Sugar sauce ... I think it has a nice change of place flavor over the typical sweet sauces.
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

afratki

• Owner: Smokin-It #1
Re: This past weekends smoke
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 08:52:39 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions USFSAE

I didn't strip the silver skin off the ribs, my wife pointed this out also.  :-[  In my notes to do next time  8)

Will try the one step marinade next time, makes with small pieces like wings.
Andrew from Maryland

Let's Smoke!