Author Topic: Had a masterbuilt, a bradley, have a kamado joe, time for the model 1?  (Read 6206 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Had a masterbuilt, a bradley, have a kamado joe, time for the model 1?
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2018, 08:39:45 PM »
Kevin, you'll be happy with a #2!  I would also add that the SI gave me the first "true" taste of wood smoke!  I now consider the particular smoke flavor just like any other spice...it's matched to the meat, and balanced.  I can definitely tell the difference in different woods, and know which ones compliment which meat (at least for my tastes).  Charcoal definitely masks the true flavors, making it hard to differentiate between the closer woods (like cherry and maple, for example).  You can still tell the more bold woods (hickory, mesquite), but you lose some of the subtle nuances of the milder woods.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Boone

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2018, 05:49:20 AM »
I started out with the WSM and was very happy with it. That was until I grew tired of getting up to adjust the vents on those overnight smokes. I got the #2 about three years ago after much debating on which size would work best for me and the only .. minor .. issue I have is with needing to separate the flat from the point on most of the briskets I do in order to get them to fit. I have no issue with cutting my ribs in half as they get cut up after smoking anyway.

The first thing I noticed when I switched from the WSM to the Smokin-it was I could tell the difference with the different wood I used for smoking. The charcoal from the WSM definitely masks the true smoke flavor of the wood.
Dan from Wisconsin
Smokin-It #2, Auber PID
Weber Smokey Mountain
Weber Kettle Grills
Blackstone Flat-Top Griddle

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2018, 06:03:36 PM »
I started out with the WSM and was very happy with it. That was until I grew tired of getting up to adjust the vents on those overnight smokes. I got the #2 about three years ago after much debating on which size would work best for me and the only .. minor .. issue I have is with needing to separate the flat from the point on most of the briskets I do in order to get them to fit. I have no issue with cutting my ribs in half as they get cut up after smoking anyway.

The first thing I noticed when I switched from the WSM to the Smokin-it was I could tell the difference with the different wood I used for smoking. The charcoal from the WSM definitely masks the true smoke flavor of the wood.

Same experience as Boone comparing my WSM to SI.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

kevreh

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2018, 11:36:53 AM »
So I decided to go ahead and order the #1, will be here tomorrow. I went to the store to look at the sizes of meat I've smoked in the past and realized I never went above 10-12 lbs. Much less for things like ribs and salmon. If, on a rare occasion, I need to smoke more I'll do a two step (smoker, then hold in oven or kamado).

Look forward to the ease of use I got with the Masterbuilt, but with a higher quality unit (of course!).

I appreciate everyone's feedback and will post results.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2018, 05:48:36 PM »
Congrats kevreh.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Hank R

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2018, 06:45:31 PM »
Great choice kevreh, can not wait to hear how you like it.
Smokin-It #1
Napoleon Prestige gas BBQ with Cast Iron Charcoal/Smoker Tray
 30 year old Big Chief smoker (unused for the last 25)
 Snow blower lover Toro 1128 HD,
 collector of Oilcans
Princeton BC Canada

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2018, 06:50:42 PM »
Congrats, Kev!  Did it arrive?
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

kevreh

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2018, 10:38:49 PM »
I seasoned it yesterday. Holy smokes (no pun intended lol) this thing is built so well. Feels good I won’t have to worry about it falling apart or rusting or bad gaskets or......well you get the idea. Think I’m going to keep it simple for my first session and smoke some Pork kabobs for a couple hours then sear them on the grill. Pork will be cubed in 2” pieces so extended time will not be necessary. Thinking of using oak for a real subtle, clean-smoke, flavor.