Author Topic: Model #2 Concern with Temperature Control  (Read 8479 times)

dpetz28

Model #2 Concern with Temperature Control
« on: May 28, 2013, 02:49:55 PM »
Does anyone else experience the same issue with their Model #2?

I have smoked 15 lbs of pork shoulder, 3 racks of baby back ribs and now 10 lbs beef brisket with the same common problem. I will explain my issue based on my last experience smoking a 10 lb brisket.

Following Meathead cooking instructions for Texas Beef Brisket and using the Maverick Dual Probe Thermometer ET732 – ambient and meat temperatures

I put the brisket in the smoker around 7:23 am. Smoker temperature control set to 225 degrees.

At 11:34 am the brisket hit an internal temp of 154 degrees (the crutch).
I then took the brisket out of the smoker and put in an aluminum pan with a little beef broth and covered it with aluminum foil.  I inserted the meat probe back into the point of the brisket and stuck it back in the smoker – smoker temperature set at 225 degrees.

Did yard work, checked the temp. Did more yard work, checked the temp. Everything was moving slowly. In my estimation, I planned on pulling the brisket out around 5-5:30 (internal temperature of 200 degree) to put it in the beer cooler for 2 hours and eat at 7 pm. At 5 pm the internal temp of the brisket was 170 degrees. At that point I cranked the smoker temperature control up to full at 250 degrees to try to finish the brisket quicker.

At 5:30 pm I became concerned (plus my family was bugging “when are we going to eat”). I started to watch the temperature more closely. The smoker temperature control was set to 250 degree. The Maverick ambient temperature was reading at 207 degree and after a while I saw it jump to 223 degrees. At the point it dropped back down to 207 degree. It did this over and over for the last 2 hours. If I set the smoker to 250 degrees, the ambient temp should be somewhat close to that temp and it should stay there, not go on then off again.

At 6 pm the brisket had an internal temperature of 187 degrees.

I decided that 7 pm, whatever the internal temperature of the brisket was I was pulling it out. At 7pm ()12 hours to cook brisket) , the brisket was at 198 degrees. I put it in the cooler and let the meat rest for 2 hours.

The meat turned out pretty good. The flat part of the brisket was a little dry but still good. I cut a piece of the point; it was rather juicy and tender. I’m saving the point for leftover this week.

I know meat has a mind of its own and will finish when it wants to. My concern is with the temperature control. Do I have a bad heating element, temperature control (thermostat) or am I doing everything correct and just don’t understand the smoking process? Like I mentioned earlier, and I have sent Steve and email, this is the third time with the same issue of temperature control.

Feedback is appreciated.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 02:26:10 PM by dpetz28 »

Grimm5577

Re: Model #2 Concern with Temperature Control
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 03:40:06 PM »
I've never experienced it under shooting the temp setting, mine will over shoot the temps and then cool down.

Muttley

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 10:26:55 AM »
I used my temp probe to check the thermostat this weekend.  At the 225 setting I was getting swings from 245 down to 207. 

I think a couple of weeks ago I had chickens in and it seemed like I had trouble getting them past 175 with a setting @ 225.  I cranked it up to 250 and that got things moving.  It was a little frustrating and I am going to use another thermometer to keep a better eye on things.   

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 12:52:54 PM »
I think the temp swings are normal...I usually get a 20-25 degree variance when I smoke at 225.   I should also add that it takes some time to get the smoker up to the desired temp.   when I set the temp to 225, it usually takes 30 to 45 minutes before reaching that temp, and then continues to climb to 245 or so before cooling back down.  The smoker may get down to 205 or so before it starts heating back up.   Overall, though, the temp should average out at the desired setting.   My smoke times have been normal or slightly ahead of what I have read for various recipes.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

dpetz28

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 03:29:08 PM »
Hello again, it has been awhile.

I smoked (3) full racks of BB Ribs this past weekend and I am still having temperature control issues.

The Reader's Digest Version - it took over an hour to get the smoker above 200 degrees. The maximum temperature I reached during the total smoking time was 221 degrees. After 5:30 hours I took the ribs out of the msoker and finished them up on the gas grill.

Looking for some information.

Should I contact Steve at Smokin-it and ask if I should swap out the heating element and/or thermostat?

What's going wrong?

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 03:40:02 PM »
Dpetz,

I don't think it would hurt to contact Steve but I'd urge you to provide him the following information:

1.  Did the smoker remained closed throughout the smoke session?
2.  Have you calibrated your thermometer?
3.  Did you use a water pan to help stabilize temps?
4.  Have you charted the temps or just taken intermittent/random readings?

As with any device there is the possibility of a bad thermostat or heating element but luckily they are rare.  The Smokin-It customer service is among the best around so please reach out to them.  Also, please post whatever you find out and good luck with your future smokes!
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

Thin Blue

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 04:49:56 PM »
Hi Dpetz,

Keep us posted. Good luck.

Have: Tejas stick burner roll top and a Smokin-it #3 w/ Auber

Had: Brinkmann vertical charcoal, wore out; Old Smoky, not to my liking sold; Brinkmann Pro offset, gave to friend;  Sams Club propane smoker, junk, returned to SAMs; 2 Brinkmann vertical electric, wore out.

afratki

• Owner: Smokin-It #1
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 05:02:32 PM »
Sorry to hear you're still having problems. I'd def give Steve call at this point, no doubt he'll help you get this resolved.
Andrew from Maryland

Let's Smoke!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 05:32:32 PM »
I have a #2 and have smoked 3 racks of BB a couple of times without encountering this problem.    The one time that I had trouble getting the temperature up to the setting was when I think some of the meat was touching the probe.  I would recommend contacting Steve as well for additional thoughts.  Good luck.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013, 10:11:25 PM »
Definitely call Steve.  He's a great guy, and will handle your concerns with honest concern.  I haven't experienced anything like this, and it appears to be rare, so I'm sure there's a valid reason & fix.  Steve will take care of it!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!