Author Topic: RG's self indulgent Brisket Video  (Read 5280 times)

RG

RG's self indulgent Brisket Video
« on: January 14, 2018, 05:42:25 PM »
Here's a stupid little video I made, I had fun with it. It's not very informative really, just showing me prep and cook a brisket. I meant to record me slicing it but didn't press the "record" button on the camera though I sure thought I did, lol.

https://youtu.be/zia-kg2Tyds
Jason from Conyers GA

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: RG's self indulgent Brisket Video
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 10:12:52 PM »
Great video Jason. Good looking brisket.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

barelfly

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 11:05:19 PM »
It’s stuff like this that makes cooking even more fun!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

RG

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 11:44:22 PM »
Thanks Guys. Just to be totally transparent here. At the end of the video, I invited folks to go to another forum that I frequent. It's not a slight to you guys at all, so please don't take it as such. It's not a brand specific forum so all cookers are welcome. That's where I spend most of my time these days since I don't have an SI any longer. That's why I asked if y'all wanted to see the video before I posted it, since it was NOT cooked on an SI. The method I use can be used on any smoker so that's what I wanted to share, the cook, not the cooker.

Thanks for watching!
Jason from Conyers GA

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 12:49:25 PM »
It's all good!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

RG

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 05:39:08 PM »
I may do some other videos at some point, maybe a rib cook on a pellet grill. I actually like ribs on my pellet poopers, lol. Then again, making that video took a LONG time. What is it, 10 or 11 minutes? I bet I spent 20 hours making that video. I could probably do it quicker now that I am used to the software. I could certainly leave out the fluff (Morgan Freeman forgive me) and do a straight up video showing the basics but I tried to make it entertaining to watch. I know you're not supposed to laugh at your own jokes and such but I was actually laughing at my own video as I would play it while making it, checking how it looked as I went. I thought to myself "Self. This is funny, you're not too bad for a hack!" :P

Maybe I'll stick to my motorcycle videos, that's easy. Hop on, start it up, turn on camera, ride and record!
Jason from Conyers GA

jpowell

• facebook
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 06:57:48 PM »
If I wasn't lazy, I'd love to have a KBQ. They look like they produce amazing results.
Jason
>3D (my 1st ever smoker!) purchased 4/16
>4 Analog acquired from the founder of Auber Instruments in 11/22 with twin internal auber convection fans. Converting to digital with auber AW-WST1510H-W
>IT Guy
>Autocross and track day junkie
>Far Northern Indiana

RG

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2018, 08:12:55 PM »
If I wasn't lazy, I'd love to have a KBQ. They look like they produce amazing results.

That's the knock on any cooker other than an electric or pellet grill, you have to tend to it, even with pellet poopers there is some baby sitting involved. With my Kegs (kamados) I could light the fire, add my auber temp controller and load it up with food and go to bed so it was almost as easy. The KBQ, it's like a stick burner that behaves like an oven, you set the temp and it maintains it as long as you feed it wood, lol. I thought it would be a pain but to be honest, it's no big deal. In between adding wood, I do other stuff as I would be doing anyway while at home. Watch TV, cut the grass, wash my cars or change oil in the scooter. Just keep an eye on to make sure it has hot coals and it'll do the rest.

The flavor is unlike anything else, it draws the smoke through the coals so you get a "scrubbed clean" smoke that is perfection. It has 2 ports on the firebox, the top one lets you add "dirty smoke" and the bottom one is "clean smoke". You can open and close them as much or as little as you like and create a custom blend. I run it at 50/50 most of the time. The "dirty" smoke gives you a nice smoke ring. I am not a paid spokesperson for Bill Karau's wonderful cooker even though it sounds like it, lol. It's been a life changing device for me, my wife and I LOVE it! She was mad at first when I bought it but when she ate the first butt and brisket I made on it, she was hooked and wanted to cook on it herself, lol.

If y'all were neighbors, I'd love to feed you some food from it so you could make up your own mind. Then again, if y'all were neighbors I'd let YOU cook for me, I've seen what you can do! ;)
Jason from Conyers GA

Meatball

• Smoke it if you got it ....
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 10:54:47 PM »
Extra points for the 3 Stooges memorabilia......  well done sir!
Bobby
Tennessee resident
Welder / Inspector

MacDarnell

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2018, 04:48:20 AM »
Great video, man!

RG

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2018, 01:04:49 PM »
Extra points for the 3 Stooges memorabilia......  well done sir!

Yep, love me some Stooges, lol!

Great video, man!

Thanks! I may make another one this weekend. I have a 7.62 pound butt thawing right now. I may make a video, I may not. I have a bunch going on but maybe!
Jason from Conyers GA

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2018, 06:08:49 PM »
Please make one! :)
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2018, 08:31:07 PM »
YES. Another video please. I can see why that video took 20 hours to produce. Very professional with all of the sideline clips, and how you incorporated the great music. I like the Morgan Freeman impersonation. Hope he makes a return. It's called "Anything Goes", so it's not strictly SI. BBQ is BBQ. We are here because we love it. Everyone is chasing the same thing.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

RG

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2018, 12:01:32 PM »
YES. Another video please. I can see why that video took 20 hours to produce. Very professional with all of the sideline clips, and how you incorporated the great music. I like the Morgan Freeman impersonation. Hope he makes a return. It's called "Anything Goes", so it's not strictly SI. BBQ is BBQ. We are here because we love it. Everyone is chasing the same thing.

LOL! Thanks Kari. My Morgan Freeman needs work. I can manipulate it with software to sound more like him but I just figured that was close enough for y'all to get the point. Having his picture in the background helped suggest what I was after as well :P

I am smoking the butt tomorrow, actually my wife is. I may try to make a video, she doesn't want to be in it at all so.......we'll see. It's going to gorgeous here this weekend. I am changing the oil in my scooter right now and plan to ride tomorrow so I will see if I can get something done. I DO have ideas already so if this time doesn't work, there WILL be another time where I will make a pork butt video for sure.
Jason from Conyers GA

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2018, 02:40:36 PM »
Looks like you had fun doing the video and the brisket looks excellent!
Best Greg