Author Topic: Going to try my hand at a Brisket again  (Read 4716 times)

shrews824

Going to try my hand at a Brisket again
« on: December 31, 2017, 10:01:37 AM »
I'm really wanting to do a Brisket.  I've only tried one other a few years ago.  I used my old Masterbuilt electric smoker.  I babied that Brisket all day and monitored the temp like a hawk.  When it reached temp, I pulled it off the smoker and wrapped it for about 45 minutes.  Needless to say it was one of the worst pieces of meat I have ever eaten.  Dry as a bone!!!  I was so frustrated after spending nearly 16 hours with it and it turned out so bad.  Not to mention the expense of the Brisket itself. 

Do any of you guys/gals have any tips or tricks with regards to using the Smokin'-It smokers?  I love Brisket, but have quite a bit of hesitancy with trying it again. 

I'm really confident in my pork and poultry smokes.  Now, I want to be confident in my beef smokes.

Thanks in advance,
Scott
Scott
Hardinsburg, KY
Smokin'-It Model #2
Beautiful wife and daughter that are my world.

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
Re: Going to try my hand at a Brisket again
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 11:02:54 AM »
Brisket, have no fear. Be sure to brine and inject it and include a water pan in the box. I do mine with a simple Salt, Pepper, and Garlic Powder rub. Not too heavy! Let the meat shine through.  :) There's plenty of recipes on the forum under beef. Make sure you provide your pictures! We live for them!
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 11:15:19 AM »
Scott,
You can brine and inject the brisket and it will be juicy. But if you have a Costco near by, I would suggest buying a Prime Brisket. Cost should be around $4.00 a lb. Since I have been buying prime, I don't inject or brine.

Also I think 45 minutes is not long enough to rest, I would shoot for 2 hours.

Do a search here on the forum and you will find lots of good ideas/advice and recipes for brisket!.
Best Greg
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 11:41:37 AM by gregbooras »

TX Gent

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 02:47:31 PM »
Second Greg's adds.... Prime, water boat, simple is best along with a 2hr rest.

Good luck and just do it ...
John ... Smokin #2  South of "Hells' Half Acre" and along ol' Deer Creek

Walt

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 02:57:52 PM »
Definitely get prime if available. SAMS carries Prime near me. However, I'm with Bob brine & inject as well.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 03:10:19 PM »
For my smokes I mostly go with Pecan. I also slather the brisket with lots of yellow mustard then sprinkle on the rub. While you can use rub you like, alot of folks use Salt & Pepper mix of 50/50. But after traveling throughout Texas I have a rub that is simpler to what John Lewis uses, see below.

Ingredients:

14 T 16 mesh ground pepper
6 T Lawry’s seasoning salt
6 T Kosher Salt
2 T Granulated Garlic
Mix all ingredients and then place in an airtight container.
This is great on beef ribs, brisket and burgers.

Best Greg

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 06:17:00 PM »
Most people buy a flat for their first brisket and the problems start there.  Inexperience and the worst part of a brisket aren't a good way to start.  If using a brisket flat, wrapping is almost mandatory, IMO. 

If smoking a prime full packer, the margin for error greatly increases.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2017, 07:55:45 PM »
SuperDave and Greg have the best advice here. You don't have to brine or inject with a Prime whole packer from Costco. Problems arise when people buy small flat portions from their local supermarket. They are lean, and turn out dry. The smoker does not create miracles if the original meat quality is not there.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

shrews824

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2018, 08:43:23 AM »
Thanks for all the suggestions guys.  I'm going heed all the advice.  I really want to be able to produce a quality piece of meat here.  I love Brisket (as most all do I'm sure).  If I can find one for fairly cheap I might just go ahead and buy it!!!
Scott
Hardinsburg, KY
Smokin'-It Model #2

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2018, 08:13:49 PM »
I get prime from Costco.  I inject but do not brine.  I also use a Jaccard on the brisket. I am not sure it is needed with an injected prime but it is what I do.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

shrews824

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2018, 10:03:01 AM »
I get prime from Costco.  I inject but do not brine.  I also use a Jaccard on the brisket. I am not sure it is needed with an injected prime but it is what I do.
Good deal.  The more I research it definitely sounds like injection is the way to go. 

Went to the market yesterday and looked at some briskets.  They are crazy expensive around here right now.  $5.99 lb for a full packer.  They were running anywhere from $58 to $70!!!  Think I'll wait until they drop the price a bit before I experiment again.  Did pick up a couple of racks of St. Louis Style ribs for a killer price though.  I guess those will be going on the smoker this weekend.
Scott
Hardinsburg, KY
Smokin'-It Model #2

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2018, 05:16:44 PM »
Good deal.  The more I research it definitely sounds like injection is the way to go. 

Went to the market yesterday and looked at some briskets.  They are crazy expensive around here right now.  $5.99 lb for a full packer.  They were running anywhere from $58 to $70!!!  Think I'll wait until they drop the price a bit before I experiment again.  Did pick up a couple of racks of St. Louis Style ribs for a killer price though.  I guess those will be going on the smoker this weekend.

Do you have a Costco nearby? Seriously, meat alone for your smoker will pay for your membership in savings, and quality (that most people including me can't get anywhere even close to that price). PRIME whole packers will be somewhere between $2.59 to $3.79 per pound, depending on time of year, and location of Costco.

If I have a Prime brisket from Costco, I don't inject or brine. Not needed. Personally, I never inject anything. I feel like the liquid just exits right back through the same hole it was injected in, and the injection site creates a path for additional juices to escape. That's just me. Do I have any scientific proof of that? No. Just my own opinion.

If I don't feel I have top quality meat, my helper processes, in order of my opinion of what might help the most 1) foil wrap at around 160-170 and put back in smoker until done, 2) brine, 3) injecting (but at this point, I would do all 3 if the meat were that bad).
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 05:25:06 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

shrews824

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2018, 09:38:34 AM »

Do you have a Costco nearby? Seriously, meat alone for your smoker will pay for your membership in savings, and quality (that most people including me can't get anywhere even close to that price). PRIME whole packers will be somewhere between $2.59 to $3.79 per pound, depending on time of year, and location of Costco.

If I have a Prime brisket from Costco, I don't inject or brine. Not needed. Personally, I never inject anything. I feel like the liquid just exits right back through the same hole it was injected in, and the injection site creates a path for additional juices to escape. That's just me. Do I have any scientific proof of that? No. Just my own opinion.

If I don't feel I have top quality meat, my helper processes, in order of my opinion of what might help the most 1) foil wrap at around 160-170 and put back in smoker until done, 2) brine, 3) injecting (but at this point, I would do all 3 if the meat were that bad).
Unfortunately, I don't have a Costco close to me.  The closest one is about 70 miles away.  I live in a very small community and it's very rural.  Very limited on selections of meat.  If my wife and I make a trip into the city we usually stop at a supermarket of some kind and stock up.  I'll definitely give Costco a look the next time we are near one.  Thanks for the info. 

I can see your point about the injection and injection points.  Makes sense. 

I'll just have to experiment and see what works best for me.  I'm excited about giving it a go however. 
Scott
Hardinsburg, KY
Smokin'-It Model #2

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2018, 10:15:40 AM »
Experimentation is a beautiful thing!   ;D
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

shrews824

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2018, 01:12:25 PM »
Experimentation is a beautiful thing!   ;D
Without a doubt.
Scott
Hardinsburg, KY
Smokin'-It Model #2