Author Topic: What to do with probe that came with my 2D  (Read 2039 times)

MikeSimp70

What to do with probe that came with my 2D
« on: December 30, 2017, 03:30:44 PM »
Just unpacked my new 2D.  It came with two temp probes in bags.  there is also a 3rd probe inside the smoker.  It is sticking out of the back wall about 1" from the top and offset right of the vent hole. 

The two probes in bags:

One is a meat probe.  I understand this one and see clearly where it plugs in on the right side of the controller.

The other looks like the meat probe on the business end and has what looks like an old headphone jack on the other.  I also do not see a place where this would plug in anywhere.

Thoughts?

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Re: What to do with probe that came with my 2D
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 03:42:54 PM »
Just unpacked my new 2D.  It came with two temp probes in bags.  there is also a 3rd probe inside the smoker.  It is sticking out of the back wall about 1" from the top and offset right of the vent hole. 

The two probes in bags:

One is a meat probe.  I understand this one and see clearly where it plugs in on the right side of the controller.

The other looks like the meat probe on the business end and has what looks like an old headphone jack on the other.  I also do not see a place where this would plug in anywhere.

Thoughts?
Hey Mike,
My 3d is 1.5 years old it it uses the (headphone style jack for the meat probe). The probe inside the box is use to track the heat of the smoker. It could be they have changed the design of the probe that you use to track the heat of your meat. Maybe someone that just bought a new version can chime in here.
Best Greg

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 03:45:55 PM »
Mike,
Looks like they have a new version of the probe, I have attached a photo. Could be they sent you the new and the old probe. Check photo and let us know.

Here is a review that David wrote in Oct (looks like they did this to keep water out)
Reviewer: david bacon from SE Arizona

This new probe kit is a simple upgrade that is well worth the investment. The receptacle that mounts to the controller only takes a few minutes to install. The plug port is now sealed against dust, dirt, moisture. Well worth the price. I highly recommend it.
Best Greg
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 03:52:05 PM by gregbooras »

MikeSimp70

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2017, 04:00:36 PM »
Mike,
Looks like they have a new version of the probe, I have attached a photo. Could be they sent you the new and the old probe. Check photo and let us know.

I believe you are correct.  It looks like I received an old probe and a new probe.  What truly confused me is, There was a wall mount PID sensor that also had this headphone jack.  talked about drilling a 5/16" hole and installing from the back.  I am now of the opinion that this was for a stand alone controller and that my 2D came with that installed and hard wired. 

Thanks,
Mike

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 05:35:13 PM »
Hi Mike - I believe you got the new probe and old probe.  I am guessing that your controller already has the new connection port installed with the rubber cap?  If not, then the instructions about drilling are to make the switch on the controller housing from old to new.  Just a matter of removing the old and enlarging the hole slightly to accept the new port.  Enjoy!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus