Author Topic: Amount of Wood  (Read 6989 times)

78LandCruiser

Amount of Wood
« on: May 13, 2013, 06:10:38 PM »
Awaiting the arrival of my #1...should be tomorrow.

Anxious to start smoking.  Will season tomorrow night then go for it Wednesday night.  The question I hav eis how much wood should I just int he smoker?  I have lots of different types of wood chunks from Camerons but am curious to understand where to start?  3 chuncks?

Also, does anyone pre-soak the chuncks in water?

Thanks!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Amount of Wood
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 12:05:16 AM »
I have a large smoker and typically use no more than 2 ounces of wood for an entire smoke. You may want to PM a member with a number 1 and ask what they would recommend.   And I never soak my wood.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

zapdafish

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 03:23:11 PM »
I seasoned with 3 chunks of the sample pack. Looks like a broom handle chopped into segments if you ask me  :P

First smoke I made 2 racks of wings and used 2 chunks

Second smoke I made 3 racks chicken legs and used 1 chunk.

I think 1 chunk was perfect as I had a steady stream of smoke coming out the top during the entire cook. About 2.5 hrs.

I might have to go the foil the wood route and poke holes on my next cook. Based on the amount and color of smoke my wood was probably flaring as it never turned into a whispy barely there gray smoke. There was a light breeze the entire time and I had white smoke pouring out of the #1 the entire time.

Still tasted great

grizzog

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 02:24:20 PM »
I see that I'm a bit late with this post, but I'll add in my feedback anyway...

I like a heavy amount of smoke and totally ruined a batch of wings by using 2 chunks in the model #1.

I have now gone the route of weighing the wood chunks and have avoided over-smoking things.  I used a 0.9 oz chunk of the hickory over the weekend to do a rack of st. louis ribs and they came out nice.  They could've handled a bit more smoke, but I tend to go easy ever since scaring myself with that first set of wings. 

bigboy74

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 11:22:10 PM »
To me the amount of wood used is up to the individual. Some like a lot and some like a little. So really it is personal preference at to how smokey you like it.

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 11:34:07 PM »
Grizz, I think you're going the right route by measuring your wood (that sounds much dirtier than was intended).  Bigboy is correct ... the amount of smoke is a very personal liking and will vary according to a wide variety of factors (density of the wood, how fresh/moist the wood is, type and quantity of meat, etc.).  That being said, I have a belief that the size of the smoker may also be a big factor here.

For example, the size of the vent aperture is likely consistent across all four models.  The quantity of wood needed to fill my smoker with good smoke as it moves from the hot chamber to the cooler outside air will vary based on internal volume.

I'd keep toying with what you do; I will say that I typically use 2-3 oz. with chicken wings and 4 oz with ribs while large pork butt or brisket goes 5-6 oz. per session.
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

es1025

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 09:01:40 AM »
In the #3, for ribs I use about 4 oz, on the pork butt i used about 6oz. That fit the bill, no too Smokey. Chicken I us 2-3 oz. I use a mix of hickory and cherry.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 10:06:54 PM »
I do a lot of smokes in my #1, and Joe is right on the money.  2-3 oz for small items like wings, 4 oz for ribs, 6 oz for butts and briskets.  Remember - your larger cuts (especially) aren't going to absorb much smoke after they reach 140 internal temp, so there's no need to have smoke rolling the entire cook.  In my opinion, the "over-smoked" taste comes when you accumulate too much unabsorbed smoke on the meat.  When the meat will take the smoke, it diffuses into the meat and is somewhat diluted.  When you look at the inside of your smoker after you season it, you'll see the golden brown coating from the smoke on everything; that's what going on to the meat after it stops absorbing the smoke!

So, the first part of the smoke is to actually "smoke" the meat; the rest of the time is just low-and-slow cooking.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!