Author Topic: Getting started!  (Read 8582 times)

ibanez122

Getting started!
« on: December 28, 2017, 09:03:05 AM »
Got my #1 last week and will be seasoning it tomorrow to possibly smoke something this weekend, but had a few questions that I can reference back to if need be......

One of my big questions is when it comes to wood and the amount to use. I ordered my wood already from smokinlicious and will be here tomorrow so that's good to go. Know I've read that too much smoke isn't good and can overpower, so that's leads me to my question - is there an average amount to use? I know it says not to use more than 8 ounces but does it all depend on the size and amount of what you are smoking and time?  For example in the lazy q book for ribs it says to use something like 2.5 oz of wood.... that's really only a few squares of wood if I'm not mistaken right?

I had other questions but I've been at work since 4 and my brain isn't working at the moment but I'll follow up when I can remember!  Looking forward to your guys info. like i had said in my intro post you guys are my lifeline for this so teach me!!

Derek from Northern VA
Smokin-It #1

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Getting started!
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 09:25:19 AM »
Derek, go buy a digital scale, about $20.  There are different tastes so there will be many opinions but usually pretty close.  2.5 oz. of wood is really very light for ribs for my taste, I use 4 - 4.5 oz.  The amount of wood can vary depending on the type of wood and how long of a smoke time you will have.  8 oz. is only for the longest of smokes like brisket or pork shoulder. 
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 09:26:59 AM by SuperDave »
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

ibanez122

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 09:48:18 AM »
Derek, go buy a digital scale, about $20.  There are different tastes so there will be many opinions but usually pretty close.  2.5 oz. of wood is really very light for ribs for my taste, I use 4 - 4.5 oz.  The amount of wood can vary depending on the type of wood and how long of a smoke time you will have.  8 oz. is only for the longest of smokes like brisket or pork shoulder.

Thanks for a quick response! I have a digital scale on its way from Amazon so I got that covered.

What are your thoughts on a water pan?  Is it something that is necessary for every smoke?  I've seen responses of yes and no so curious as to where you stand on it and others on here as well.
Derek from Northern VA
Smokin-It #1

TX Gent

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 09:59:28 AM »
SD is steering you in the right direction ibanez.

As he points out we each have different taste and there are so many choices when it comes to meat quality, woods, smoke temps and time lengths not to mention internal temps to finish. Try to go middle of the road to get your own smoke profile base. Keep reading, asking questions and start smoking with maybe the same protein a few times to get to what you want in taste and finish. Pick the meat your most interested in smoking for yourself, family and friends and do that enough times and you'll have a clear understanding of what works for you and just as importantly what doesn't work.
John ... Smokin #2  South of "Hells' Half Acre" and along ol' Deer Creek

Walt

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 10:04:38 AM »
I don't use a water pan for poultry but I do for just about everything else. Put it on the floor of the smoker tucked up tight to the wood box.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2017, 10:08:56 AM »
What are your thoughts on a water pan?  Is it something that is necessary for every smoke?  I've seen responses of yes and no so curious as to where you stand on it and others on here as well.

I keep water in the smoker when doing brisket, turkey, and Boston butt.  I don't do so for fish, pork loin, ribs, or nuts.  I've heard that butts probably have enough fat that the water is unnecessary, but it's never hurt anything so I do it anyway.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

TX Gent

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2017, 10:10:46 AM »
I like water pans myself but I don't always use one.

Long smokes almost always and short smokes almost never but there are exceptions based on the grey area of time/temp/and IT. Even with a shorter smoke such as a chicken smoked @250, three oz of white oak for approximately 2.5 hours I'll use a water tray. I'll use only a small amount of water but with apples,oranges, onions and garden herbs above the water in the tray which will release aromas as they caramelize over the smoke time. This gives different kinds or moisture to the smoke and adds a richer depth of taste.

The neat thing about this forum are the myrid number of ways we each work our smokes and that's what makes the forum so helpful.
John ... Smokin #2  South of "Hells' Half Acre" and along ol' Deer Creek

ibanez122

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2017, 04:55:35 PM »
Thanks for all the responses everyone!  I just want to make sure that when I do my first smoke... which will probably have end wait till next weekend goes good and I don't ruin it.  I'm taking the advice Ive read on here and am doing a pork butt for my first smoke, so any pointers on that would be awesome.

Derek from Northern VA
Smokin-It #1

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2017, 06:25:25 PM »

ibanez122

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2017, 07:37:13 PM »
here's the pork butt tutorial:

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1012.0

Thanks for the link.  Is brining recommended for pork butt in terms of having better results vs non brining?
Derek from Northern VA
Smokin-It #1

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2017, 11:36:46 PM »
here's the pork butt tutorial:

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1012.0

Thanks for the link.  Is brining recommended for pork butt in terms of having better results vs non brining?
yes, and I also inject.

ibanez122

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2018, 06:30:08 PM »
Got my seasoning done this past week and am am picking up my b/i pork butt tomorrow (approx 7.5#) - looking to do Saturday which leads me to a few things I would like to ask.  I know this particular meat takes a long time to smoke, so I would imagine the earlier the better, so is there such thing as too early (im thinking like 5 or 6 am) especially since they have to be double foiled and have to rest (ive read different opinions on how long to have it rest so what would be a good time - ive seen people say 30 min all the way to 2 hours).  With the wood, I have double filleted wood - do I need to do the foil boat with this as a precaution in case of combustion or should I be in the clear? (also looking at maybe 6 oz of wood for this given the amount of time for smoke.. too much wood or just about right?)  Pretty stoked to do this so ill give updates when its all said and done  :D
Derek from Northern VA
Smokin-It #1

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2018, 08:43:59 PM »
Derek,
I wrap my butts  1/2 way through and your time of start works great for your size of butt. If you don’t wrap, you will likely be closer to 2 hours per pound including rest time.

Regarding wood, 6 oz. is about right but a little light for my tastes.

barelfly

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2018, 09:22:08 PM »
Super Dave gives good advice with wrapping half way through.

What time do you plan on eating? The 3 or 4 pork butts I’ve smoked have taken a long time. I cooked an 8lb boneless pork butt that brined 24 hours a few weeks back and it took nearly 16 hours to get to temp and feel. I started it at 10pm and pulled at 2pm the following day. I did not wrap during the cook, but may try this next time. So, my advice, start earlier and hold in a cooler double wrapped with a towel for longer if needed. The best butt I’ve made SARA in a cooler this way for 4 hours while I traveled to our lake house. When I served it, it was piping hot and the bone pulled right out. Everyone loved it.

Have fun with the cook!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

Bearsmoke

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2018, 11:08:40 PM »
Derek,
I wrap my butts  1/2 way through and your time of start works great for your size of butt. If you don’t wrap, you will likely be closer to 2 hours per pound including rest time.

Regarding wood, 6 oz. is about right but a little light for my tastes.

Dave do mean halfway through by time or at a certain IT?  Also do you wrap to maintain moisture?
Barry from NE Arkansas
Smokin-It 3D, Phoenix gas grill