Author Topic: 3.5D On order In  (Read 7394 times)

BonaireBBQ

3.5D On order In
« on: December 04, 2017, 06:10:04 PM »
First off a big Thank You to Steve! He worked with me for over 1 week trying to help me pay for the order. I do not live in the States and it can be quite the challenge to pay for things from down here Bonaire Dutch Caribbean (with all the credit card fraud and all). We finally got it worked out after I got my PayPal account updated. He was also very helpful in honoring the Black Friday deal that is when I started trying to order. I feel very confidant in working with this company after being a lurker on the Forum for over a year and a half and hearing all the great thing about Steve and his product. Also with all the help and suggestions to my questions on the forum from all the great folks here. I will be a contributor here and yes I will have many more questions and look forward to all the great advise I get here. I am just hopping it and all the other stuff I have ordered get to my Freight forwarder soon so I can possibly get it all before Christmas or most likely some time after the New Year. Yes there advantages and Disadvantages of living on a small island in the Caribbean. Again thanks to all of You!

Merry Christmas to All of you From Sunny Bonaire!
Walt in Bonaire

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: 3.5D On order In
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 08:06:38 PM »
Congratulations Walt on your purchase. Enjoy!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 10:54:17 PM »
Welcome Walt.  Just curious, what voltage do you have down there?

Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

TX Gent

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 08:56:38 AM »
Howdy Walt!

I'm also curious as to what type of wood is available for smoking on your island. Carib spices and local wood should make for some very interesting and adventurous smoking. Walt, do post updates and your results.

John
John ... Smokin #2  South of "Hells' Half Acre" and along ol' Deer Creek

BonaireBBQ

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 05:12:51 PM »
Yes I plan on enjoying sleeping through the night.

Our electricity is 127 volt 50 hertz or 230 volt 50 Hertz. I can step down either to 110 volt 50 hertz. I had several conversations with Auber to make sure I would have no problem with the controller they assured me no problems as there is a transformer that changes the AC to low voltage DC for the controller. The heating element really doesn't care, so should be no problems there as it is just a giant resistor. The problem we have sometimes is with 60 hertz motors they don't like the 5o hertz sometimes. The 50 hertz motors have more and bigger windings on them. As I recall because the French wanted 220 50 hertz as the standard in Europe way back when?

Wood wise we have lots of Mesquite, Acasia and some fruit woods West Indian cherry and Mango. I have ordered some Hickory (as it is my favorite) from SmokinLicious, also some Wild Cherry and Maple.

I look forward to posting about my adventurers some time in January maybe earlier and you can count on more questions.
Walt in Bonaire

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 09:37:22 PM »
Looking forward to reading about your results.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Toyse

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 01:08:02 PM »
Walt Enjoy you 3.5d ..
There is not a week that goes by that I am not Smoking something on mine ..
Merry Christmas

-Toyse

polarlys

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017, 01:23:49 PM »
Not to raise a flag where one is not needed one might use caution when dealing with some tropical woods if not familiar with them.   Mango is botanically related to poison ivy and some with extreme sensitivity to PI find some irritation when handling fresh mangos.   I don't know if this holds for handling the wood or the wood smoke.   Personally I enjoy mangos and find no such issues and would be willing to give it a go.   

Roger from NJ
SI 3d
Roger from NJ
Somerset, NJ
retired Police Officer
retired Air Nat'l. Guard
US Army '69-'72 (20th Engineers Vietnam)
SI-3d

BonaireBBQ

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2017, 05:37:38 PM »
Thanks Roger for the heads up on Mango wood we also have the West Indian Cherry tree down here that we call a shimarucu. It is kinda a cross between an cherry sized apple and a cherry taste wise anyway. 3.5D is at my freight forwarder in Miami and will be on the boat and on its way Thursday. I will get to start playing with it early next year.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to All!
Walt in Bonaire

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2017, 09:34:08 PM »
Congratulations Walt! Your smoker is making quite a trip. :)
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

G man

• Gordon Radford Photography
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2017, 12:46:48 PM »
Diving and BBQ!  Enjoy.

I've always enjoyed using a Jamaican Jerk Rub on my PButts....Nicely different! 
Gordo
50 Miles West of St. Louis, Misery
#2,  and Master Forge Big Green Vertical Charcoal Smoker, (it is now for sale!)

BonaireBBQ

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2018, 03:41:00 PM »
The 3.5D has landed and drawn first blood. I cut my arm trying to tighten the casters bolt on the front drip guard. I will smooth that off with some fine sandpaper to avoid a repeat performance.

The packaging is fantastic! It survived the truck ride to Florida and the boat ride to Bonaire in perfect shape.

A technical question. In the manual it says input voltage 110-240 volts ac 50/60 Hz. On the plate on the back of the smoker it says input voltage 120 volts 60Hz. Which is correct? I would prefer to run it on a 230 volt 50Hz outlet.

Walt in Bonaire

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2018, 08:29:52 PM »
I would check with Steve on that.  I think you are OK but just to play it safe give Steve a call or shoot him an email.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2018, 08:46:09 PM »
I’m no electrician but the equipment in my garage that can run on both has to be wired differently for either 120 or 240. The equipment is capable but needs to be configured specifically.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2018, 07:38:10 AM »
I contacted Steve. The PID is ok on the voltage but the element is strictly 120. So run it on 120.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus