Author Topic: Mini Brisket Oh So Prime  (Read 2978 times)

TX Gent

Mini Brisket Oh So Prime
« on: December 03, 2017, 10:13:07 PM »
The other day I came across an odd brisket while going through my regular source's select, choice and prime briskets.

It was a 6.29 lb prime with a full point and flat. Hadn't come across one quite that small before in my memory with most being 10, 12 and more pounds. Looked over many others but I kept coming back to the little fellow and trying to come up with a plan on how to cook it in the little big #1. It was too long to fit on one rack and way too petite to cut it into a separate flat and point .... humm

Being prime grade I looked it over close to try and determine why it was so small, but it seemed to be in proportion to a larger one with only maybe a tad on the thin side. At less than $17.00, the price of a one pound prime ribeye, I thought OK here is a learning opportunity. Bought it and parked it in the refrigerator for a few days until I came up with a plan.

Decided to trim most fat and grey edge off and then I folded the point over the top of the flat and nestled it together fat side on the bottom  ... kind of like a comb over ... LOL I planned to to smoke it @ 200 and monitor it very close.

Rub was very very light kosher salt and cracked black pepper only. Wood consisted of Hickory, Pecan and a small amount of mesquite. In the box I included a foil boat of just water ... nothing fancy. I also placed it fat side down to insulate the meat from the heat. This is opposite to what we usually do here in TX with stick burners. Then. into the #1, double probes and a final check of the internal start temp. BTW, the foil under the miniB is the trimmings for our dog.

Set temp dial @ 200 degrees indicated and buttoned it up. After five hours the internal temp was 155 on both probes so I pulled the brisket, double wrapped it and put it back in @225. The mini brisket hit 195 at the start of the ninth hour and I turned the smoker off but left the wrapped brisket in to slowly come down. Man these #1's are tight and well insulated. Two hours later the miniB was still 180. Brought it in and waited 30 more minutes before slicing and serving.

All's well that ends well and the mini ended very well ... or for us, most excellent!

John ... Smokin #2  South of "Hells' Half Acre" and along ol' Deer Creek

40 caliber

Re: Mini Brisket Oh So Prime
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 05:35:10 AM »
That looks awesome!
Tom From NH
My two favorite things are  my Victory Motorcycle riding the tail of the dragon. and making the CUE!

JustChillin

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 07:25:15 AM »
A delicious looking brisket! It would be nice to find some similar when serving a small group. Thanks for sharing.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 10:06:41 AM »
Looks tasty and juicy!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

TX Gent

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 11:37:59 AM »
TYVM Gents ...

I was really scarred of over-cooking and drying out the miniB so I kind of tried to err on the underside of heat/time/smoking. Don't get me wrong, it was an awesome smoke'alicious brisket and I was pleased with all points, but there are two things I will do different the next time.

First, less pepper.

Second, due to the efficiency of the big little #1 Smoker to retain even and long lasting heating in the box I'll turn it off when the brisket reaches and IT of 185 instead of 195IT. I'll extend the cool down temp in the box to 165IT before retrieving the brisket which will add about three hours to the cooking time.

Probably splitting frog hairs here but I really want to find the optimal smoke/time/temp for my cooks in the #1. The #1 really is a very cool little smoker which punches hard above it's weight.

On to the next smoke!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 11:42:56 AM by TX Gent »
John ... Smokin #2  South of "Hells' Half Acre" and along ol' Deer Creek

Tomtom

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2019, 08:36:21 PM »
Great post...just what I needed

PhilH

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2019, 10:11:17 AM »
That looks great, I plan on doing a small one I have in the freezer this weekend.
How do you get the pictures in the post, rather than at the end? 
Phillip   Ramsey MN