Author Topic: Second beef brisket for me  (Read 2374 times)

Dannyg

Second beef brisket for me
« on: November 25, 2017, 09:09:57 PM »
 First one a few weeks ago was tough but still good.   Needed to cook it much longer and the rub was way too spicey.  (Don't ask!)

Ah but my second attempt resulted in beef the likes of which I had never tasted in my life.   

For this one...I started with a 10lb brisket that I trimmed leaving a 1/4 inch of fat around.  Salt and pepper and nothing else.  Got up at 4:15 am to put it on at 250.   7  hours later I wrapped it in brown paper and put it in for another 4 hours.  Shut the 3.5D off and left it in there another 90 minutes.

Brought it inside, opened the paper and cut a slice.  I pretty much melted in my mouth.   I gave my brother a slice and then my nephew.   It was priceless seeing their faces as they ate it.

Did you ever have a moment where you were like YEAH, I DID IT?

Yeah, I did it!   

I love this smoker.   I've done baked salmon quite few times and each time it's been awesome.   

Next up will be ribs.   

Still trying to perfect cold smoking but I will figure it out soon enough.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 09:14:59 PM by Dannyg »

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Second beef brisket for me
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 09:50:18 PM »
Sounds like you really nailed the brisket this time. Congratulations!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 10:17:40 PM »
Brisket takes some practice... no matter what smoker you are using. Practice learning how your particular smoker works with the balance of smoke, heat, moisture, time. Whether to wrap partway or not. And practice in knowing what the brisket should look like, feel like, and what internal temperature you prefer, to make it perfectly done to your liking. If you had nailed it on your first brisket, you might still be chasing the perfect brisket, not knowing you had already achieved it. So having an imperfect first brisket is a blessing. Then again, is there ever a perfect brisket? Every one I make, I'm always chasing the best one ever.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

TX Gent

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 06:23:22 AM »
Congrats Dannyg!

Nothing like a personal challenge and a strong desire to overcome and preserver in the end or is it just a new ... beginning?
Onward and upward Dannyg
John ... Smokin #2  South of "Hells' Half Acre" and along ol' Deer Creek

drains

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 10:20:07 AM »
Sounds like you nailed it! Good job. Hope you have many more.
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

Dannyg

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 12:45:58 AM »
Thanks all and thanks for the great advice on this site.

Got a real kick out of speaking to my sister tonight when out of the blue she said, "man, that brisket was unreal".

I realize that a great deal of the enjoyment I get from this new hobby is just sitting back and looking at the faces of people when they eat what the smoker cooks for me!