Author Topic: Anyone ever try baking powder for crispy skin?  (Read 2099 times)

gmbrown

• Owner of a #3
Anyone ever try baking powder for crispy skin?
« on: November 18, 2017, 09:20:31 AM »
Like most of you, any time I’ve tried smoking poultry (so far just chicken), I get soggy rubbery skin. I’m probably going to smoke a turkey breast this thanksgiving, and I’ve seen quite a few folks online say that adding baking powder to dry rubs or dry brine helps crisp up the skin. Anyone here ever try that? If so, how’d it come out?

Thanks!
Geoff from Michigan, exiled to Ohio

pargolfr2003

Re: Anyone ever try baking powder for crispy skin?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 07:46:19 AM »
Geoff my first reaction would be "save your sanity". I've tried a couple of tricks to get crispy skin and found the only way to get crispy poultry skin is to throw it on a grill or under a broiler for a few minutes after you pull it out of the smoker. Having said that, I'll never say never so give the baking powder a try and let us know if it works.
Tim D
Fayetteville, NC
My Tool Kit:
Smokin It #2
Weber Kettle
LOTS of cold beer and/or wine

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Re: Anyone ever try baking powder for crispy skin?
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 11:07:06 PM »
I've never tried it, but I've seen the technique used many times and apparently it works well for roast poultry. Who knows how it will work in the smoker, but I don't think anyone has tried it in the SI yet, so I look forward to your results! Don't get your hopes up too much though. And keep the dog close. ;)
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide