Author Topic: Spiral Sliced Ham?  (Read 2769 times)

LarryD

• 3DW
Spiral Sliced Ham?
« on: November 14, 2017, 08:30:00 PM »
So I bought a 9.6 lb smithfield, fully cooked, hickory smoked, bone-in, spiral-sliced ham today.  I didn't realize it was spiral sliced until just a bit ago.

I'm using the #2 and my understanding is that I just want to bring the internal temp up to 140 since it's actually already cooked and I don't want to dry it out.

So...  what temp would you recommend I use?  Since it's already hickory smoked, would you suggest I use more hickory, pecan, cherry, and/or apple?   I'm making this ham and a turkey for Friday lunchtime.  I'm getting up early Friday to smoke the turkey, so I'll need to smoke the ham in advance and then re-warm it Friday in the oven while the turkey smokes...  does that change any of your answers and/or warrant additional advice?

edit:  change 240 to 140
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 09:27:51 PM by LarryD »
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Re: Spiral Sliced Ham?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 08:55:16 PM »
First off, you do not want to bring the ham to 240. I assume you meant 140. Also, the ham is already fully-cooked, so I'm assuming you just want to add more smoke. Additional cooking is not necessary, and will only dry out the ham. If your goal is to add more natural smoke, then use a cold, or low temp smoke scenario. You do not need, or want to bring it to 140 during smoking. Depending on which smoker you have, that would entail using chips, maybe a pan of ice, maybe a cold smoke plate, an on/off analog dial thing, a programmed auber with ice in the chamber, or a dedicated AMPS or Big Kahuna. I have a cold smoke plate with my #1, so that's what I would use, but others here might have a suggestion for a low temp or cold smoke workaround for a non-D model. Just get some additional smoke on there as you desire (2-3 hours without bringing the temp to 140), then wrap tightly in foil and chill back down quickly. Reheat the foil bundle in the oven to 140 on your big day.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 08:56:48 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 09:10:03 PM »
First off, you do not want to bring the ham to 240.  I assume you meant 140.

Heh... yes.  :)

Also, the ham is already fully-cooked, so I'm assuming you just want to add more smoke.  Additional cooking is not necessary, and will only dry out the ham. If your goal is to add more natural smoke, then use a cold, or low temp smoke scenario. You do not need, or want to bring it to 140 during smoking.

Perfect... that is what I was expecting/hoping to hear.

Just get some additional smoke on there as you desire (2-3 hours without bringing the temp to 140), then wrap tightly in foil and chill back down quickly. Reheat the foil bundle in the oven to 140 on your big day.

I have the cold-smoke plate, but have never used it...  seems like a good time to put it to use.  I have tons of those gel ice packs...  any reason to not use those on top of the cold smoke plate to keep everything nice and cool?

I guess the spiral cut aspect doesn't really matter?
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

JustChillin

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 09:21:57 PM »
There have been several post regarding twice smoked hams or you can just google it. A spiral sliced ham will work put just fine. Try not to overcook it but follow some of the suggestions from previous smokes and you will be happy with the results.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 09:28:00 PM »
I have the cold-smoke plate, but have never used it...  seems like a good time to put it to use.  I have tons of those gel ice packs...  any reason to not use those on top of the cold smoke plate to keep everything nice and cool?

Never tried gel packs. I'd be afraid to. Just use your bottom drip pan filled with ice (to the point where it won't overflow when it melts!), and sit it on top of the cold smoke plate. Add chips to the smoke box using the chip screen, or add a sheet of foil to the bottom of the smoke box. With the analog, I turn the dial to full blast 250 until I see good smoke production (15-20 minutes usually). Then turn it off for about 45 minutes to 1 hour. Then repeat this process for however many hours you want. 4-5 cycles should be plenty. I think the spiral is going to dry out a lot faster than a regular ham, so you might want to make sure you keep the smoke phase as low temp as possible.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 09:50:27 AM »
Larry, spiral cut hams are all I use for my second smoke hams.  I rub with mustard and sprinkle on a rub, smoke at 250.  When the ham gets just below 140, I add my honey/maple glaze and finish to 140.  Turns out great every time. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

pargolfr2003

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2017, 07:58:20 AM »
I've done double smoke hams several times and it's the best ham you'll ever have. I do them exactly like I do my boloney chubs: paint it with mustard, season it up with rub, smoke at 225 for 2 hours, glaze with a mixture of bbq sauce and apple juice then back in the smoker for another hour. Just reading and talking about it makes me hungry for one right now!
Tim D
Fayetteville, NC
My Tool Kit:
Smokin It #2
Weber Kettle
LOTS of cold beer and/or wine

FloydIAm

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2017, 03:39:56 PM »
Larry, spiral cut hams are all I use for my second smoke hams.  I rub with mustard and sprinkle on a rub, smoke at 250.  When the ham gets just below 140, I add my honey/maple glaze and finish to 140.  Turns out great every time.

Thanks guys, I like this arrangement. To avoid overdoing the smoke flavor, about how much wood should I use?
Holiday Cheers, Floyd