Author Topic: So confused  (Read 2517 times)

Haynfolife

So confused
« on: November 05, 2017, 01:52:53 AM »
Aloha !  Just received my 3D and I am beyond excited. Picked up a 11# select and can’t wait to get started. The brisket was frozen when I bought it so it’s thawing as I speak. I’ve been scoring this forum for tips as this is my first brisket and I’m torn between how I want to approach this. I want to keep it simple so I probably won’t Inject or brine, just a simple slat and pepper rub. My dilemma starts with the temp. I’ve read some people go 250-270 degrees and some at 225. Also should I worry about wrapping at 160? Kinda want to just let her go till I reach IT then place in a cooler. My family is counting on me! Lol help!

TX Gent

Re: So confused
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 09:21:27 AM »
Howdy Haynfolife and welcome to the forum and your first Smoke-It!

Simple is best and I would encourage you not to over think the process. Salt and pepper after a fat trim will get you started. Everyone here and there has an opinon and varied techniques which they use to get ...wait for it ... varying results!!!

Best thing you can do is get a double probe thermometer and use it... one probe in thin part and one in thick part of muscle... not fat. The wrapping is to not over smoke so that it goes bitter which is a combination of wood, heat and time. Fat renders around 165 degrees give or take and many wrap then. If you start around 200/225 somewhere around six hours would get you in the ballpark. Wrap and put back in and shoot for an internal temp of 185/195 ... your situation and time will vary from mine or others, but you'll be close. Pull and definitely allow for two hours of rest before slicing and you should be good to go.

Hope that helps you and as I indicated all here have varying styles and ways of trying to get to the best results ... you just need to "go for it" and have a backup plan...lol

All the best Haynfolife
John ... Smokin #2  South of "Hells' Half Acre" and along ol' Deer Creek

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 10:17:10 AM »
On the wrap or not to wrap question I'll answer back with a question.  How important is bark to you?  I foil wrap half way through because I believe it to make the meat more tender and I don't care for bark.  Bark lovers would NEVER think of foil wrapping. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 10:42:42 AM »
Welcome to the forum from SE Arizona. Have you checked out the Lazy Q Book?  It is full of help.  See the main site, For the Customer.  I tend to smoke at the 225 level and just let it go till the internal temp hits 190/195. Since this is your first smoke, be aware of the stall.  That is the point when you see the temp stop rising, generally around 170 degrees. Just let it run its course. It can take a while for the temp to start rising again. Enjoy!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

jpowell

• facebook
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 10:46:12 AM »
Yup, keep it simple. I've done a few briskets and 50/50 salt and pepper is what I use.
Ditto to the recommendation to get some remote meat probes. Maverick makes a nice budget friendly 2 probe unit (733) many of us use (I've since moved up to a Fireboard unit).
I've done both wrapped and unwrapped briskets. Both ways were well received and quickly consumed. I've not done enough to know yet which I prefer. Wrapping will for sure help speed up the cook if you're time-pressed. And do let it rest a least 2 hrs if possible when done.
Use both internal temp and the toothpick test (should feel like you're pushing into a room temp stick of butter) to check for doneness.
Welcome to the smokin-it community and let us know how it goes!
Jason
>3D (my 1st ever smoker!) purchased 4/16
>4 Analog acquired from the founder of Auber Instruments in 11/22 with twin internal auber convection fans. Converting to digital with auber AW-WST1510H-W
>IT Guy
>Autocross and track day junkie
>Far Northern Indiana

Walt

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 10:48:06 AM »
I don't wrap. However, considering its select & not choice or prime....and no injection or brineing.....you would probably be better off wrapping or it will probably be a bit on the dry side. I have had great results brineing select cuts but usually try to stick with choice or prime when available. Simple can be best with prime cuts but with substandard grades more must be done to reach optimal results. Good luck.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 11:36:16 AM »
I have the #2 so 250 is as high as it goes...  that said, I always do brisket at 225.  I also always brine, even if only for a couple hours.  I've done select on many occasions and it comes out beautifully tender and moist.  I did a prime once and, honestly, I'm not sure it was worth the extra cost.  These smokers can turn junk into gold.  :)

Some simple rules on an SI:

* Only open the door twice - once to put the meat in and once to take it out.

* Don't wrap, don't mist, don't baste, don't add wood - See first rule.  :) 

* Don't measure the box temp (at least of the non-D models or if you're not using the PID) - it'll only drive you crazy and for no good reason.

* Don't forget to poke a hole in the foil in the bottom of the smoker so the drippings can drain.

------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 03:11:21 AM »
I agree with Walt. I don't wrap brisket. But I always get Prime, and occasionally Choice. Since yours is Select, and just the Flat part (which tends to be drier), I would wrap part-way through in that case. Probably around 165. Other than that, it's best to keep it simple in the beginning. That will establish a baseline for future smokes, where you might want to try other things, and see if they make a difference or not. If you start out doing a whole bunch of things, you'll never know which ones are necessary, and which ones you can leave out. I wouldn't smoke brisket higher than 225, unless you are in a hurry. You want your final internal meat temp around 195. Don't be alarmed if it sits in the stall around 170 for several hours. Give yourself plenty of time to rest the brisket, and start early. Ideally it should rest wrapped in foil, surrounded by towels in a cooler for 2 hours, but can rest in the cooler for 5-6 hours without any trouble. The 3 most common issues I've seen people have with a first brisket: 1) over-trimming the fat. Since you have a select flat, I don't think I would trim any fat at all, 2) not starting soon enough, and either cranking up the temperature to speed it up, or not giving it adequate time to rest, and 3) panicking when the meat goes into the stall, and raising the temperature thinking it will not get done in time.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Haynfolife

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2017, 09:24:51 PM »
Hey guys I haven’t figured how to reply to you guys individually lol so here goes. Started the smoke at 8pm. Prep was simple trimmed down the fat cap to about 1/4, salt and peppered then in the fridge for about 6 hours prior. 2 loaf pans with apple juice on the bottom 3oz of hickory and 3oz of pecan.  The brisket stalled at 174 at 230am so that’s 6 1/2 in. Hit the sack and woke up 6am. By then the brisket was at 184. It took till 1000am for it to reach 190. (2 stalls?). I pulled wrapped and it sat in the cooler for 3 hours. Point was almost 2 moist as it was hard to cut and kept falling apart. The flat wasn’t bone dry but lacking the moisture I was looking for. (Wanted to see those juices flowing) all in all this was an awesome first smoke. Here’s some questions and thoughts.
1. Where is the best place for probe placement?. (I have a smoke from thermoworks)
2. Should I inject? How long do I let it sit after injecting it before the rub goes on?
3. Bark isn’t super important so I’m going to wrap at 160 next time. But I would like to learn both ways. probaly going to use the flat to make a chili. Any good recipes?
4. Would it better to separate the flat and point and smoke separate? That way I can wrap the flat after 160.
5. Using the meat probe with the 3D The IT temp would jump up and down within 3 degrees. Is that normal for the 3D or should it remain constant?
 I have so much to learn. Attached are some pics of before and after I pulled it and One of me pulling a flat piece apart. I really appreciate all the help mahalo!!!!!!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 03:09:26 AM by Haynfolife »