Author Topic: Smoked Chicken Temp?  (Read 2903 times)

Jumanji

Smoked Chicken Temp?
« on: October 20, 2017, 05:05:35 PM »
Recipes call for smoking chicken at 250 deg, to an internal temp of 165 deg.  My 3D user guide says the pre-programmed C1 whole chicken profile is 275 deg, to internal temp of 165 deg.  The temp difference probably doesn't matter, but am wondering if someone made a mistake on the user guide?  I see lots of cooks with people using 250 deg, and some even lower.  That said, I checked the programming and my C1 is pre-programmed at 275 deg.  Which is what it's cooking at now!

One more question.  Do you let the chicken rest before cutting into it?  I noted that the turkey recipe says to tent under foil for 30 minutes before carving.  OTOH, a turkey is a bigger bird!  My chicken is still decent size at right under 6 lbs.
Michael from Port Aransas, Texas
Smokin-It 3D

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Smoked Chicken Temp?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 06:21:57 PM »
I don't think the temp is a mis-print.  Different folks like different smoking temps. Whether 250 or 275, do not expect crispy skin.  And letting the meat rest is an old standard procedure for all meats regardless of whether they were smoked, grilled, roasted or baked.  It lets the juices revert back into the meat.  The truly important aspect is a correct internal temp, especially with poultry.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Jumanji

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 11:47:10 PM »
Thanks for the reply, David.  It turned out very tasty.  First chicken I've done on this smoker.  Do lots of ribs.  Anyway wife liked the chicken.  Took exactly 3 hrs.  Very juicy.  And the skin was oh, so, not tasty! ;-)
Michael from Port Aransas, Texas
Smokin-It 3D

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 05:56:15 AM »
A lot of us smoke chicken at 250, because we do not have a D model, and the analog controller only goes to 250. :o If you have a D model, you have the option of using a higher temperature, like 275. That's why you will see two different temperatures. 250 or 275 will give you pretty similar results.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 09:38:47 AM »
Since chicken doesn't involve breaking down muscle fibers, the temp can be as high as you like, i.e. oven baked chicken is usually 350.  When I do beer can chicken on the Weber, I know I'm pushing 400+.  For whole chicken in the SI, I recommend the first hour or so at the 250 degree range just to prevent combustion.  After that, low temperature is simply adding time before you can eat. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah