Author Topic: Cleaning after using  (Read 7005 times)

polarlys

Cleaning after using
« on: October 17, 2017, 05:10:01 PM »
I am new to Smokin-it.   I recently got my 3d and have used it about 6 times now some with pork ribs, butt bacon and a few times cold smoking fish.  I think I've been pretty diligent with prep before and cleaning after but would appreciate some advise here.   I foil the bottom and smoke box cover as well as the drip pan after each hot smoke event.   I don't bother after the cold smokes.  After pulling off the used foil I wipe the bottom with paper towels and replace the foil.  Other than the smoke residue on the walls and racks during use will there ever come a time when a more thorough house cleaning will become necessary.   For example using strong detergents or chemical cleaners ????

ThanX,
Roger
A Happy Camper from New Jersey,
Roger from NJ
Somerset, NJ
retired Police Officer
retired Air Nat'l. Guard
US Army '69-'72 (20th Engineers Vietnam)
SI-3d

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Cleaning after using
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 05:21:30 PM »
You have it covered well. As for a full inside cleaning I only clean off loose stuff when it starts to alligator or flake. No detergents. Just a brush. And of course the racks are cleaned after every use. I did a full cleaning on the old Cookshack when I discovered that a rodent had invaded through the grease hole. I used oven cleaner. No harm. Had to re-season.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

polarlys

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 05:26:48 PM »
Boy,  that was one small rodent.  The upper vent hole I could easily see.   I usually keep the Big Kahuna smoke supply hose in so it's restricted.

ThanX Sarge

Roger from NJ
Roger from NJ
Somerset, NJ
retired Police Officer
retired Air Nat'l. Guard
SI-3d

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 07:56:15 PM »
Scrape off the loose bits in the box with a plastic scraper or old credit card. Wipe with paper towels. That's it. If you feel the need, every few years you can use oven cleaner, then re-season, but it's really not necessary, unless it would make you happy. If you feel the need to "sterilize" it for some reason, crank it all the way up and let it burn for a several hours and wipe it out. I have a #1, so the racks and rack guides easily fit in the dishwasher. If I had a larger smoker, and the racks and rack guides did not easily fit in the dishwasher, I would totally be more lazy about cleaning those, and probably never clean the guides. I think you have to clean the racks however. You are not sterilizing them by heating over a blazing hot fire like you might for a grill, where you can just brush off the gunk once they are heated. Maybe the 2-4 owners here can give their tips on cleaning the racks. Maybe at the end of the smoke just crank up the smoker and let it burn off?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 07:58:05 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 09:42:10 PM »
I put my rack on my gas grill turned up to high. After it chars, the bits brush off with a grill brush super easy.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 10:24:07 PM »
I put my rack on my gas grill turned up to high. After it chars, the bits brush off with a grill brush super easy.

That's a great idea. Also, wadded up balls of aluminum foil are good for scrubbing off crud. No need to get it sparkling.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Durangosmoker

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 05:24:43 PM »
I soak my racks in a plastic mortar pan that I got from the hardware store in soapy water for several hours, then wipe them with a magic eraser cleaning pad under running water. Easy peasy, and they come out sparkling. The rack guides get a solo trip through the dishwasher every couple of months, but I don't really sweat it if I forget for a while.

Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2017, 10:26:41 PM »
I soak my racks in a plastic mortar pan that I got from the hardware store in soapy water for several hours, then wipe them with a magic eraser cleaning pad under running water. Easy peasy, and they come out sparkling. The rack guides get a solo trip through the dishwasher every couple of months, but I don't really sweat it if I forget for a while.
This was my exact method when I had a smaller smoker.  But I don't miss the soaking and SOS pads now that I use the BBQ to cook them clean.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

JustChillin

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2017, 09:35:28 AM »
After smoking two butts and then 10lbs of wings for today's tailgate, I put my grates in the dishwasher. If it works, it will definitely make clean up much easier.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

polarlys

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2017, 11:04:59 AM »
I like the dishwasher method and was able to fit one of my 3d racks in it.   I could probably get a couple in at a time.   Have to try that.  My father used to clean his oven trays and racks ( before self cleaning ) by using a closable plastic bag and some ammonia liquid.   Let them fume awhile and they would clean pretty easily.   I don't want to go that route but it did seem to work pretty well for stovetop grates for me once.   I like the hot grill idea too.   ThanX all for the input and ideas.   Now to see just what works best.
Roger from NJ
Somerset, NJ
retired Police Officer
retired Air Nat'l. Guard
SI-3d

brianhebert

• Best Smokers info - Tips, Recipes and Reviews 2017
    • Best Smokers info - Tips, Recipes and Reviews 2017
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2017, 06:39:49 AM »
I like the dishwasher method and was able to fit one of my 3d racks in it.   I could probably get a couple in at a time.   Have to try that.  My father used to clean his oven trays and racks ( before self cleaning ) by using a closable plastic bag and some ammonia liquid.   Let them fume awhile and they would clean pretty easily.   I don't want to go that route but it did seem to work pretty well for stovetop grates for me once.   I like the hot grill idea too.   ThanX all for the input and ideas.   Now to see just what works best.

thanks, i usually read complete guide to cleaning on Best Smokers Info

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2017, 09:48:11 AM »
For the racks I bought a plastic pan and soak until the gunk falls off. When my smoker is looking a bit to greasy, I just load 4 oz of wood and smoke it for 3-4 hours.
Best Greg

40 caliber

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2017, 06:50:27 AM »
I just spray oven cleaner on the racks and come back later and clean them easily. lazy Q means lazy cleaning!
Tom From NH
My two favorite things are  my Victory Motorcycle riding the tail of the dragon. and making the CUE!

TX Gent

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2017, 08:07:28 AM »
I just spray oven cleaner on the racks and come back later and clean them easily. lazy Q means lazy cleaning!

True That!
John ... Smokin #2  South of "Hells' Half Acre" and along ol' Deer Creek

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2017, 11:04:35 AM »
I always clean the racks, smoke  box, and wipe down the floor after every smoke.  Roughly every 3-4 months I will do a full cleaning with a brush to clean off the walls of the smoker and will run the side racks through the dishwasher.  I like Greg's idea to do a dry run for 3-4 hours with an empty box to smoke off everything in the box.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2