Author Topic: Tony (Divotmaker)? Mystery solved!  (Read 10753 times)

RG

Re: Tony (Divotmaker)?
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2018, 10:23:56 AM »
I saw that he was "online" on FB messenger and sent him a message. No reply. I get that he's been through some difficulties but why shut everyone out? That, to me, is just bizarre.
Jason from Conyers GA

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2018, 05:59:22 PM »
I reckon Tony had his reasons.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

RG

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2018, 02:15:58 PM »
I guess so. I just find it very strange. We are all "friends" of his and concerned. I would think he'd let us know how he's doing. Avoiding us like we're a bill collector strikes me odd :P

Jason from Conyers GA

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2018, 04:39:36 PM »
I've always wondered if he was a paid employee or under contract in some way. Never really cared. He did such a great job and really cared about everyone here. His disappearance seems to give some support to this theory. He may be contractually bound not to interact. If so, I'm sure it's tough for him not to respond.

I like this theory better than he has severe health issues!
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2018, 05:06:50 PM »
I don't know for sure, but I do not think that he was paid. I think he did get some perks like the test units that he was able to keep as well as maybe some clothing swag once in a while.

Like Dave said, I am sure that he has his reasons for his departure, and I respect that.

On the other hand, I get where RG is coming from too. I do consider you guys as friends and while most of us don't get together for beers and talk about the football games and our wives, I do care about you all and if I ever had to leave for an extended time, I promise that I will check in and let you guys know.

As many of you guys know I usually check out pretty good for the summer as that is lake time for me with little time for reading forums. But, I do try to check in on the Sausage/Jerky/Venison forums once in awhile. I still smoke quite a bit of food in the summer, but just don't write about it as much as I haven't really tried much new stuff lately. I do need to start honing my brisket making ability though as I have only smoked a few of them and none recently. So, I may be asking some brisket questions in the future although most of the answers to my questions are already out there I think if I look for them. :)

I am still holding out for Tony to make his return to the site. His knowledge, unique personality, and effort has really helped shape this site and build it into what it has become. May God's Blessing Be With You, Buddy!
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

RG

« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2018, 05:15:36 PM »
I don't know for sure, but I do not think that he was paid. I think he did get some perks like the test units that he was able to keep as well as maybe some clothing swag once in a while.

Like Dave said, I am sure that he has his reasons for his departure, and I respect that.

On the other hand, I get where RG is coming from too. I do consider you guys as friends and while most of us don't get together for beers and talk about the football games and our wives, I do care about you all and if I ever had to leave for an extended time, I promise that I will check in and let you guys know.

As many of you guys know I usually check out pretty good for the summer as that is lake time for me with little time for reading forums. But, I do try to check in on the Sausage/Jerky/Venison forums once in awhile. I still smoke quite a bit of food in the summer, but just don't write about it as much as I haven't really tried much new stuff lately. I do need to start honing my brisket making ability though as I have only smoked a few of them and none recently. So, I may be asking some brisket questions in the future although most of the answers to my questions are already out there I think if I look for them. :)

I am still holding out for Tony to make his return to the site. His knowledge, unique personality, and effort has really helped shape this site and build it into what it has become. May God's Blessing Be With You, Buddy!

Very well said and I agree 100%. Tony is a good guy for sure and he was doing this out of his passion for the SI. That's what makes this all the more odd. HE LOVED those smokers and being on here. His knowledge was readily shared. You won't find a nicer person willing to help as he did. I do hold out hope that at some point he'll break the silence and come back and have fun with the rest of us. Hell, I don't even have an SI and I still hang out here, lol!
Jason from Conyers GA

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2018, 05:36:17 PM »
I agree it was his passion for these smokers and this forum that makes it so odd. I'm hoping he'll return someday. Even in a more limited capacity. But he might be an "all or nothing" kind of person. He might feel he would need to dedicate the same amount of time to it, or he would feel bad about coming back. If he has made major diet changes for example, he might feel he can't participate in the same way he used to. Just speculating of course. :D
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2018, 02:19:18 PM »
For now it sounds like the best we can do is wish him well and hopefully we will meet again!
Greg

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2018, 02:39:33 PM »
For now it sounds like the best we can do is wish him well and hopefully we will meet again!
Greg

Agreed
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2018, 04:42:36 PM »
I think it is important to realize that Tony had a full time job and a family outside of the forum. He amassed over 10,000 posts as well as doing quite a bit of R&D on improving the smokers. In addition Tony dealt with some rather difficult people regarding their experience with the smokers. All of this and more. It takes a lot of time and effort. So as I have said earlier, Tony has his reasons, maybe personal. Just keep a kind thought and carry on in the spirit that Tony demonstrated. By the way I called him today and left a message. Time will tell.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

RG

« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2018, 04:50:00 PM »
I hope he returns the call! I can attest that running a forum can be time consuming but it's not that bad. I had time to do it but it time that I volunteered, just like yourself David. I appreciate what he did in the past and I appreciate what you do now. We'll just move forward and hope he is doing well. If he does call you, let him know we all miss him and hope he's well!
Jason from Conyers GA

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2018, 05:31:42 PM »
I think Tony's title has been moved from Administrator, to Global Moderator. Which seems to be a new position also held by me, gregbooras, swthorpe, and old sarge. So maybe there's hope that he's not out 100%.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2018, 08:00:22 PM »
Hello everybody!!  I am humbled, and honored that you all have thought so highly of me...I don't know what to say, except I'm truly thankful!

I'm coming up on a year since I faced some pretty serious health issues, and have needed the hiatus from just about all online activity to get my life straightened-out.  Things are going really well, and I now have time to get back to being with you all!

Hopefully, I can get caught back up pretty quick, and back in the swing of things again!  Sure glad to see so many of the "regulars" still here!!  Again, I really, really appreciate the kind words and am humbled!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

RG

« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2018, 08:03:19 PM »
He's back! Man that made my night! Glad to hear from you buddy!
Jason from Conyers GA

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2018, 08:03:41 PM »
Thanks Dave!  Good to be back!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!