Author Topic: NEW TO SMOKERS - ORDERED 3D  (Read 5265 times)

rmklaw

NEW TO SMOKERS - ORDERED 3D
« on: October 04, 2017, 07:45:51 PM »
Hi there.  I am new here and with smokers (never had one, but have two barbecues; one gas and one Argentinian made of brick and stainless using firewood).  I ordered the 3D because I like the features and PID controller.  Hope to learn to use it.  Also, what sold me is how helpful Steve was when I called to get some guidance with selecting the right unit.

Any tips for a newbie would be greatly appreciated.

Richard
Temecula, CA
Richard
Temecula, CA
Beer Brewer and Winemaker
Si 3D
Weber Genesis
Argentinian brick and mortar Asador w/adjustable racks and separate charcoal burning section

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: NEW TO SMOKERS - ORDERED 3D
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 09:23:02 PM »
Welcome Richard from SE Arizona. Best advice I can give is to read the forum regarding the 3D and look at the recipe section for the food you like.  The experience of others will help get you started.  In the mean time, you might want to read through this:
http://www.smokin-it.com/v/vspfiles/files/Lazy-Q.pdf
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 12:52:50 PM »
Welcome, Richard!  I use the #2 so I don't have the digital controller.  I think the #1 piece of advice is to put your food in and then don't mess with it.  You don't need to spritz it, sop it, foil it, or anything else...  just leave it alone and let the magic happen.  This is double-true when you smoke something substantial like a brisket or a butt.  It's going to get to a place somewhere between ~155-~175 and it's going to 'stall' with the temperature just hanging there for a really long time with little to no change.  This is perfectly normal and quite possibly the worst possible time to open the door.

Otherwise, just relax and have fun...  although not impossible, it is relatively difficult to render something inedible with these smokers.

The #2 tip is to take notes.  I kind of cheat and post my smoke questions/results on here so I can look them back up and review them.  :)  However you do it, notes will keep you from asking the same questions and allow you to replicate a prior success and/or improve upon it.

Any tips for a newbie would be greatly appreciated.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

rmklaw

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 04:49:41 PM »
Thank you LarryD and Old Sarge.  I downloaded docs from the Forum to educate myself.. Little daunting at first when you read about the sophistication of some recipes and recommended preparation such as brining, rubs, etc.  Good advice to keep it plain and simple at first.

A dumb question.  Everyone recommends not to open the smoker until the smoking is done with the correct temperature.  That being the case, how do you simultaneously smoke various different meats which have different smokin times?  Do you open the smoker to remove the ones with lower smoking time and continue with the others or leave them all in for the whole length of time?  Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 04:58:51 PM by rmklaw »
Richard
Temecula, CA
Si 3D
Weber Genesis
Argentinian brick and mortar Asador w/adjustable racks and separate charcoal burning section

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 05:49:06 PM »
Richard, the amount of wood used to smoke your meat is somewhat calculated on cook time.  Smoking something of a short smoke time with something like a butt or brisket, which takes a long time, is not advised as the short duration meats will be over smoked.  Smoking meats that might have an hour or two difference isn't a problem with opening the door to remove the meat that is done first.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

rmklaw

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 08:21:32 PM »
Thanks Super Dave.
Richard
Temecula, CA
Si 3D
Weber Genesis

kona77

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 09:22:25 PM »
 Richard.
Welcome to the Smokin-IT group.. I have had my 3-D now for 16 months and really did not have a lot of experience before my purchase.  My best advise is to use the site and all the helpful hints and tips given by the folks who use the forum. I have now smoked several pork butts, ribs, loin and two briskets and everything turned out great.. Have found brine, rub and sauce recipes on the forum.. I have not mixed any meats yet on my smokes but I know some folks will run a separate meat probe thru the vent hole and monitor the IT of their second meat choice that way. Hope that helps..       
Gene from Wisconsin
SI newbie (3-D)
Live/breathe for the outdoors..

barelfly

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2017, 12:05:48 AM »
Welcome! You will really enjoy your 3D! I have the same model and love it. If you read through the posts here, you are going to have some great food! So many here have tried various things and have basically come up with wonderful recipes for just about everything.

Enjoy!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

ibbones

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2017, 07:31:24 PM »
Richard, welcome from a Home Brewing guy in South Texas.  Gonna love the smoker.
Michael "BONES" T. 
Victoria, Texas
3D

drains

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2017, 07:47:04 PM »
Welcome from Texas! Your 3d is your ticket to some mighty fine eats. Enjoy!
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

JustChillin

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2017, 09:06:36 PM »
Tip #1, buy some meat and start smoking. Let the smoker do the work while you enjoy some beer or wine.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

rmklaw

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2017, 09:28:55 PM »
Great suggestions.  Thanks much.  My D3 just arrived two hours ago.  Looks great and can't wait to start seasoning it and then trying out something (while sipping some wines and beer).  Will keep you all posted.  Thanks again for the warm welcome and suggestions.
Richard
Temecula, CA
Si 3D
Weber Genesis

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2017, 10:14:57 PM »
Enjoy!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

rmklaw

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2017, 10:26:37 PM »
I am now looking for a cart/stand/storage.  I like Smokin-it cabinet, but would like to have a shelve.  which of the two models are you guys using (if any)?
Richard
Temecula, CA
Si 3D
Weber Genesis

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2017, 11:46:43 PM »
Mine sits on its casters on the patio. No stand or cart. But if I were to get something it would be the cabinet. I like the enclosed look.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus