Author Topic: best way to warm up a whole brisket and picnic ham  (Read 2301 times)

TXJP

best way to warm up a whole brisket and picnic ham
« on: October 03, 2017, 08:24:22 PM »
We are leaving Friday to go visit some family out of town and they asked me to bring a smoked brisket and picnic ham. My plan was to smoke them and take them off Friday morning before we leave then let them rest in the cooler on the way up then put them in the fridge on when we arrive. My question is we are not eating them until the next day so what is the best way to reheat them? Thanks for the help!
Jared

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: best way to warm up a whole brisket and picnic ham
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 08:46:26 PM »
Large crock pot or large Nesco type roaster oven, either of which with a meat rack, some sort of broth, set on low or medium heat to warm through with the broth or your choice keeping things moist.  Another idea is a large roasting pan, again with a low meat rack, broth, and sealed tightly with heavy duty foil and warmed in the oven.   If the meat is tightly wrapped leave as is and warm in a oven.  I have not yet unwrapped a cut after it has rested that did not have a lot of juice within the packet. If you want the meat 'wet' you can slice it and bathe it in the broth as it heats up. Lots of options.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

EFGM

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 09:18:41 PM »
I got this from Arron Franklins website and have used it myself and given out with whole packers frozen. Hope it helps

WARMING BRISKET

Oven method:
1. Unwrap brisket from sealed plastic and place the brisket in a baking dish.

2. Slice several pads of butter onto the top of brisket & cover dish with aluminum foil.

3. Place in pre-heated oven at 250º

4. Reheat to preferred internal temperature (USDA recommends reheating internal temp of 165º)

Reheating time varies between 1 and 2 hours for 5-6 lbs. Yours  is closer to 8 after cooking so it will take a little longer
Eat or Freeze within 14 days.

You can also put maybe 2 oz of apple juice in bottom of pan to help with moisture.
Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

TXJP

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 10:26:03 AM »
Thanks guys. I think I am going to try the Franklin method. Butter makes everything better right!
Jared

TXJP

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 03:22:37 PM »
I am a month late on updating this, but it turned out good. The ham was delicious, we just warmed it back up in the oven. The brisket was ok because my uncle wanted to just throw it on grill an hour before we ate to warm it up. I tried to argue a little, but it was his house. The flavor was good it just was not all the way warmed up yet.
Jared

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2017, 09:02:16 PM »
If everyone got a full belly Jared, all is well.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus