Author Topic: First set of Baby Backs on the #2  (Read 2451 times)

shrews824

First set of Baby Backs on the #2
« on: September 25, 2017, 09:16:27 AM »
Smoked my first set of Baby Backs on my #2 this weekend. 

Smoked 3 racks @225 with some hickory wood chunks doing the 2-2-1 method with apple juice as my liquid and my homemade sauce for glaze. 

They weren't bad to be honest.  Probably should have cooked them about 1/2 hour longer.  Just a tad chewy, but I definitely finished a whole rack myself so that should say something!!!

Scott
Hardinsburg, KY
Smokin'-It Model #2
Beautiful wife and daughter that are my world.

JustChillin

Re: First set of Baby Backs on the #2
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 09:28:21 AM »
Good job!
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

shrews824

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 09:48:41 AM »
Scott
Hardinsburg, KY
Smokin'-It Model #2

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 01:01:58 PM »
I think everyone undercooks their first racks of ribs. ;D It takes some trial and error based on what you like. I've settled on 5 hours no peek for baby backs. I also like to rest wrapped in foil for 1 hour. That's works for me, because I like to serve them "dry rub" style, then serve sauce(s) on the side. With the 3-step method, and total of 5 hours (2-2-1) is probably going to come up a bit short, because the ribs, as well as the smoker, are cooling off between steps, and it takes a while for the meat and the smoker to get back up to temp. You might try 3-2-1 next time and see how that goes.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 02:01:59 PM »
Every set of ribs are going to cook differently.  Take all the guess work out of it and do the toothpick test near the end and pull them when they are really done, not based on a set time. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

shrews824

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 04:03:46 PM »
I think everyone undercooks their first racks of ribs. ;D It takes some trial and error based on what you like. I've settled on 5 hours no peek for baby backs. I also like to rest wrapped in foil for 1 hour. That's works for me, because I like to serve them "dry rub" style, then serve sauce(s) on the side. With the 3-step method, and total of 5 hours (2-2-1) is probably going to come up a bit short, because the ribs, as well as the smoker, are cooling off between steps, and it takes a while for the meat and the smoker to get back up to temp. You might try 3-2-1 next time and see how that goes.

Thanks for the tip on the 3-2-1.  That's what I'll do next time for sure.
Scott
Hardinsburg, KY
Smokin'-It Model #2

shrews824

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 04:05:02 PM »
Every set of ribs are going to cook differently.  Take all the guess work out of it and do the toothpick test near the end and pull them when they are really done, not based on a set time.

That's another good point.  The toothpick test is pretty tried and true method. 
Scott
Hardinsburg, KY
Smokin'-It Model #2