Author Topic: #3  (Read 3003 times)

raymillsus

« on: September 22, 2017, 11:24:14 PM »
Just ordered at number #3 I hope it is what I expect.  5" shorter than my current but 13" deeper.  I think it is a logical progression.
-Ray
Haymarket Va
SI #3
Tec Sterling 2 Infrared Grill
USN 1988-1998 Medically discharged.
Biker at heart, I ride for abused children
Great BBQ is a passion.

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Re: #3
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 02:44:59 AM »
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the quality of the SI compared to your old Bradley. It really is built like a tank. And no more pucks! Really opens up a lot of wood possibilities.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

JustChillin

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 06:20:39 AM »
Congrats! I think you will be very happy.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

raymillsus

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 09:23:54 AM »
I am looking forward to it. I have not told the boss yet but I hope to get something smoked for her before she see it  :o
-Ray
Haymarket Va
SI #3
Great BBQ is a passion.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 09:35:12 AM »
Ray, don't know what part of the country you are in but I was thinking about your pucks and thought that they might work great for some smoked cheese when the weather gets cooler.  A little ingenuity and some ice and these smokers make some great smoked cheese. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 10:16:54 AM »
Enjoy! 
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

drains

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2017, 12:53:49 PM »
Welcome from Texas! I also have a #3 and can assure you that when it gets to you and you unbox it then the meaning of the words built like a tank will become crystal clear.  I hope you enjoy your smoker as much as I have mine.
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

SconnieQ

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2017, 03:53:41 PM »
I am looking forward to it. I have not told the boss yet but I hope to get something smoked for her before she see it  :o

It's going to be pretty hard to hide a #3. ;D I agree with Dave, depending on the flavor of your pucks, cold smokes or low temp smokes like cheese, salmon, or bacon might be a good way to use them. Maybe you can break them up with a hammer a bit to make smaller pieces for cold smoking. They also might work okay for regular smokes. Maybe you can sell them on Craigslist. These smokers require very little wood compared to the way Bradley's gobble up pucks, so be sure to weigh your pucks just like you would weigh chunks.
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2017, 09:26:44 PM »
Welcome to the family, Ray!
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

raymillsus

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2017, 10:02:07 PM »
Thanks Everyone. I am really looking forward to it. I am hoping to have it by next weekend. Wife wants to have Brisket but I think my first smoke will be something i am more comfortable with. Pork Ribs I am comfortable with. Brisket too but not as much as Ribs. And My pulled pork I would put up against almost any. But we are a bit worn on pulled pork. So I think we will do a nice batch of ribs. Little Dizzy pig.

I will also update on the pucks. I have a few.
I have Jim Beam Barrels.
I have Apple
I have MEsquite
I have hickory
So we will see what we can do.
-Ray
Haymarket Va
SI #3
Great BBQ is a passion.

SconnieQ

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2017, 10:53:38 PM »
If you decide to order some great double-filet chunks from smokinlicious.com, I would recommend cherry, maple, and oak, to fill in the gaps. Hickory of course is a favorite of mine, but you already have hickory pucks. I've really gained a new appreciation for oak on beef. I personally am not a huge fan of mesquite and apple, but everyone is different!
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

t-motheviking

• Did you turn it off and back on?
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2017, 11:15:11 AM »
You'll love it!  I was worried too when I bought mine but the moment you start taking it out of the box you're going to see the quality and love it!  Enjoy and welcome!
T-Mo from Morris, MN (West Central MN)
AKA The Bear, Big Mo, Big Fuzz, The Viking
Smokin-It Model 3D
Cast Iron Lodge Sportsman Grill
Are electric smokers the mobile home of smokehouses?

raymillsus

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2017, 09:35:26 PM »
Since I use Jim beam on almost all of my smokes. (not all but alot) I found on Frutawoodchunks. Barrels that did Anejo Tequila but they were actually recycled Jim beam barrels before that. So I am going to give them a shot. I will have to order more too. And Yes it is not even here yet and She figured it out. I was asking her "if we had a smoker what would you want to smoke" She said "What did you order"? LOL
-Ray
Haymarket Va
SI #3
Great BBQ is a passion.