Author Topic: PID with Wifi  (Read 7135 times)

raymillsus

PID with Wifi
« on: September 21, 2017, 01:28:08 PM »
Can anyone recommend a PID with WIFi built in? I think if I am going the route of adding a PID when I get my #3 one with Wifi that I can monitor via an App from anywhere would be nice. My ideal situation is to be able to monitor it and control it during long smokes from other places than home. 
-Ray
Haymarket Va
SI #3
Tec Sterling 2 Infrared Grill
USN 1988-1998 Medically discharged.
Biker at heart, I ride for abused children
Great BBQ is a passion.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: PID with Wifi
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 02:11:00 PM »
Check out this thread.  I believe they can be purchased as well.

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2765.0
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

raymillsus

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 03:51:01 PM »
That is awesome thanks, but way beyond my skills. I did not see in the long thread how much for his setup. Looks like what I would want.
-Ray
Haymarket Va
SI #3
Great BBQ is a passion.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 04:05:56 PM »
Google Heatmeter PID.  I thought that I had seen them offered retail before.

Walt

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 05:08:31 PM »
Tman has some for sale.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

raymillsus

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 01:04:48 PM »
Tman has some for sale.

Any idea how much they were? I am about to pull the trigger on a #3 Wondering if I should wait.
-Ray
Haymarket Va
SI #3
Great BBQ is a passion.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 01:55:57 PM »
Tman has some for sale.

Any idea how much they were? I am about to pull the trigger on a #3 Wondering if I should wait.
I wouldn't wait.  The smoker functions great without all the bells and whistles and can always be added.

JustChillin

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2017, 06:45:04 AM »
I agree with Dave. Get it and start enjoying some great smoked meats. While I have a #2 with a separate Auber PID, I rarely use the Auber. It is a real pleasure to just set the temp and let the #2 do the work.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2017, 04:14:58 PM »
Now that you've ordered your #3, if you don't already own a wired thermometer (you probably do), consider purchasing a Maverick or Thermopro and dropping the wires down the top hole. They are bluetooth, and are what most of us use with the analog controller. If you want multiple probes, Wifi, and an app to control and graph your cooks, you can splurge on something like Fireboard or Tappecue. (Awesome) There are a lot of other similar options out there too. After a few smokes, you might find you don't really need the Auber or Heatermeter precision for box temp. But if you do, you can always add it later. It's a personal preference. There are only a few situations in my mind, like cold smoking, etc., where that kind of precision would be very helpful. I can successfully small scale cold smoke without it though.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

cookingdude555

John - Utah

raymillsus

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2017, 05:47:28 PM »
Now that you've ordered your #3, if you don't already own a wired thermometer (you probably do), consider purchasing a Maverick or Thermopro and dropping the wires down the top hole. They are bluetooth, and are what most of us use with the analog controller. If you want multiple probes, Wifi, and an app to control and graph your cooks, you can splurge on something like Fireboard or Tappecue. (Awesome) There are a lot of other similar options out there too. After a few smokes, you might find you don't really need the Auber or Heatermeter precision for box temp. But if you do, you can always add it later. It's a personal preference. There are only a few situations in my mind, like cold smoking, etc., where that kind of precision would be very helpful. I can successfully small scale cold smoke without it though.

I do have the Maverick. Been using it for years. Wish it had more inputs but all in all a good unit.
-Ray
Haymarket Va
SI #3
Great BBQ is a passion.

LDog

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2018, 09:06:01 PM »
Brent - near Lexington, KY
SI2

azbohunter

• I eat, therefore I hunt and fish!
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2018, 10:57:54 PM »
Looks like a sweet setup, I already have two Aubers PID's or it would certainly be something I would seriously look at.
Glendale, AZ 8 months of the year and then 4 months where ever the fish are biting best, usually along the Columbia River in Oregon.
I eat, therefore I hunt and fish! Hopefully I will learn to smoke some of it!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2018, 11:31:19 PM »
Two meat probes built in is nice.  But the instructions for auto-tune are poorly written. Why they use a rice cooker for an example is beyond my capacity to comprehend.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

LDog

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2018, 07:50:46 PM »
Two meat probes built in is nice.  But the instructions for auto-tune are poorly written. Why they use a rice cooker for an example is beyond my capacity to comprehend.
LOL, good catch - nothing like a well written Tech Manual :-)

I have a few bike mods/repairs slated for the next few months - if they go under budget (does this ever happen?), I'll think about getting this one or building up one of those HeatMeters .... we'll see.

Thanks for the replies!
Brent - near Lexington, KY
SI2