Author Topic: 1st Generation Anova Precision Cooker for $89 (bluetooth) or $109 (WiFi)  (Read 2121 times)

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
For anyone thinking about getting one of these, this is a great deal. It's the model I have, and it works great! I'm not even sure what the difference is between the 1st generation and the current 2nd generation. Both are 800 watts and look the same to me. Limited quantities. Only 324 remaining at the time of this post.

https://us.anovaculinary.com/products/1st-gen-anova-precision-cooker?utm_source=Anova+Food+Nerd+Family&utm_campaign=1964b4c672-promo_us_first_gen&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_0315742ebc-1964b4c672-106608133&ct=t(promo_us_first_gen)&goal=0_0315742ebc-1964b4c672-106608133&mc_cid=1964b4c672&mc_eid=cb3c53dbc9
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: 1st Generation Anova Precision Cooker for $89 (bluetooth) or $109 (WiFi)
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 03:29:46 PM »
Kari, how do these work? Does that tube just go in a pot of water?  I don't know a lot about sous vide but hear so much about it that I figured that I better see what it is and how they work. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Re: 1st Generation Anova Precision Cooker for $89 (bluetooth) or $109 (WiFi)
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 05:08:43 PM »
Kari, how do these work? Does that tube just go in a pot of water?  I don't know a lot about sous vide but hear so much about it that I figured that I better see what it is and how they work.

Yep. It clips onto the side of a pot, with the tube inside the water bath. The tube consists of a heating element and a little propellor that keeps the water moving. It keeps the water at a very precise temperature, so you can't overcook your food, no matter how long you leave it in the bath. It fits our lazy cooking lifestyle very well. Also great for tenderizing tough, cheap cuts of meat into butter, while keeping them medium-rare. And...I use it a lot for reheating vacuum sealed BBQ right in the bag. It can sit in the bath almost indefinitely, so you can pop it in the water whenever it's convenient. At Christmas, I get Prime Rib leftovers, and I can reheat those sous vide, without worrying about those delicious steaks getting "cooked" more. Timing is not critical except for fish and eggs. And it's not even that critical for fish, with an hour or so wiggle room for taking it out of the bath.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 05:16:23 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide