Author Topic: Sous Salmon Recipes?  (Read 2184 times)

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
Sous Salmon Recipes?
« on: August 25, 2017, 12:54:20 AM »
I picked up a salmon filet from Sams today to wait out the Hurricane (which i think will be pretty much a non-event for Houston).  So, I've done cod and other fish in sous vide, but I've never done salmon.  I usually like my salmon smoked. I'm ready to try it sous vide.

I've got a new rosemary bush I'm thinking about using with butter and garlic. But I also have some pesto sauce I need to use.  Not very skilled with cooking with pesto though.

I'm open to all recipes and suggestions!  Please let me know your favorites!

Kari, I just read your salmon post from way back. Do you prefer 122F?  Is 125F really that different?
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

Durangosmoker

Re: Sous Salmon Recipes?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 01:08:36 PM »
I do my salmon at 125, and really love it. I usually put a couple of lumps of (cold) butter in the bag, S & P on the fish, and a couple of sprigs of some herb or other (I have thyme, rosemary, dill, and sage growing in the garden). 1/2 hour to 45 minutes in the bath. Reverse sear, then yum!
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 02:18:30 PM »
I'm planning on doing that w Rosemary on half. Then freezing some pesto to put in the bags of the other half. Unless I hear something better!
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2017, 06:14:55 PM »
A few degrees makes a pretty big difference when it comes to salmon. It's really a matter of personal preference. So it might take some trial and error. There are some sweet spots for salmon. I've found anywhere between 118 and 122 to be my favorite, because I like it pink in the middle. I don't reverse sear, because you lose the even, delicate texture you've achieved with sous vide. And it overcooks so quickly. If you decide to reverse sear, you'll want to use a much lower temperature, like maybe 108. You might gain different flavor with reverse sear, but you also lose texture and fat. It's a compromise.

Same thing as Eric above. I usually go with what's around the house, or in the garden to inspire me with salmon. Always a hunk of butter though. In the summer, I have every fresh herb known to man in my garden. Dill is of course a favorite, but tarragon, basil, rosemary, thyme are all good. I try to keep it simple with salmon. Just butter, salt, pepper, and one fresh herb. A slice of lemon is good too. Maybe a little sprinkle of garlic powder. Winter is a good time to experiment with seasoning blends from my spice cabinet. Mostly, I let the salmon be the star though, and don't over-season. Of course, a good hollandaise is always welcome on my plate, especially if I'm serving with grilled asparagus or some other grilled vegetable.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 06:24:50 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2017, 09:36:26 PM »
Thanks!  I went with 125F. Turned out perfect for us. I will experiment a little in the future. 2 pouches were garlic, butter and rosemary from my garden. 2 were garlic, butter and pesto (which I had froze to vacuum). Good stuff!  Still have two pouches we plan on having for lunch tomorrow.

I neglected to get after pics but here are some before pictures to share!

Viva Sous Vide!!!
The Woodlands, Texas