Author Topic: Questions about adding temp probes  (Read 2133 times)

NJFoodFreak

• Rich , model #2
Questions about adding temp probes
« on: September 10, 2017, 09:52:17 AM »
Good morning everyone! As I patiently await the arrival of a Model #2 ( scheduled for tomorrow) , just wanted to say hello to everyone and do have a question or three. I have a Thermoworks Chef Alarm and Dot alarm. My question is, do I run the temp wires and probes through the top vent, or is there a better way to do it? I want to be able to monitor the air temp and temp of the foods that I am smoking. And since I already have these instruments, I'd like to use them.
 Wishing everyone good times, good eats and good health,
Rich
The main ingredient is love. Eat in good health.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Questions about adding temp probes
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 10:07:46 AM »
Yep, down the vent hole works just fine.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 10:25:32 AM »
Welcome Rich from SE Arizona.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

drains

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 01:04:29 PM »
Welcome from Texas Rich! I use a maverick dual probe to monitor food in my #3 and drop the probes through the vent hole with no problem. I don't monitor the box temp because, the controller being analog, it swings about 25 degrees high or low so I have learned to trust the process. Good luck and hope to see your posts.
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

NJFoodFreak

• Rich , model #2
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 04:37:01 PM »
Thank you Dave, David and Dale. Much appreciated. Was wondering about it and if it was correct area, or was it better under or between the doors. I'm looking forward to sharing, learning and creating with you all. In friendship, brotherhood and sisterhood and good health.
The main ingredient is love. Eat in good health.

Meatball

• Smoke it if you got it ....
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2017, 09:13:48 PM »
Thank you Dave, David and Dale. Much appreciated. Was wondering about it and if it was correct area, or was it better under or between the doors. I'm looking forward to sharing, learning and creating with you all. In friendship, brotherhood and sisterhood and good health.
I would not recommend running a probe wire between the door seal
Bobby
Tennessee resident
Welder / Inspector

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2017, 12:15:05 PM »
I would highly recommend that you NOT measure the box temp unless you have a very solid reason to believe the smoker is malfunctioning.  You're going to see temperature swings of +/- 30 degrees and it's going to drive you nuts while otherwise causing absolutely no harm.  I always use my second probe either for a second piece of meat (two butts, for instance) or to measure two spots in the same piece (flat and point of a brisket).

I want to be able to monitor the air temp and temp of the foods that I am smoking. And since I already have these instruments, I'd like to use them.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...