Author Topic: CS Convert  (Read 1736 times)

Cap

CS Convert
« on: September 08, 2017, 09:36:24 PM »
I has the CS for years and loved it. Last winter, it was stolen from my shop. In researching its successor, I was intrigued by the lower cost of the SI. Too good to be true, right? So I thought. Nonetheless, after much research and a prompt email response from Steve, I took the plunge and ordered a 2.

One question. I am going to get a remote thermometer. The Maverick seems to get good reviews on these forums. Is that the one you'd recommend?

Ready to smoke.
Chuck
Northwest Louisiana

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: CS Convert
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 10:25:29 PM »
Chuck - Welcome from SE Arizona. No doubt about it, the Maverick is very popular and has a good track record.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 11:29:39 PM »
The Maverick is a reliable BBQ thermometer for sure. It's what I use. The bluetooth range is okay, but you might lose the signal now and then. It's got some stiff competition out there these days though, and isn't really keeping up with the competition. If you have a few extra bucks to spend, and want WiFi and Cloud, with apps so you can monitor and graph your cooks, and multiple probes (instead of a single food probe and single ambient probe), consider the Fireboard. Multiple food probes are a must in my book. I like to probe more than one piece of meat, or probe the same piece of meat in two places, just in case I get poor probe placement, or want to take separate readings as in the case of a brisket flat and point. Currently I use the Maverick along with a few other inexpensive wired thermometers. I would buy a Fireboard if I hadn't pre-ordered the Meater Block (making do with my Maverick until then). There are other WiFi thermometers with multiple probes too if you want to do a little looking.
https://www.fireboard.com/shop/fireboard-fbx11-thermometer/

If you want to stick in the price range of the Maverick, with 1 food probe and 1 ambient probe, check out the ThermoPro TP-20, TP-08, or TP-12. ThermoPro also has a very good reputation.
https://itronicsmall.com/collections/digital-wireless-meat-thermometers
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 12:54:13 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Cap

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 10:35:16 AM »
Now you've given me something to think about.
Chuck
Northwest Louisiana

Meatball

• Smoke it if you got it ....
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 09:17:15 PM »
Now you've given me something to think about.
Been using the Thermopro for years.... never had any problems and very happy with it. Got a very good deal on Ebay
Bobby
Tennessee resident
Welder / Inspector