Author Topic: Pork loin help please  (Read 4373 times)

dannyboy

Pork loin help please
« on: September 05, 2017, 12:22:09 PM »
We are having a dinner at church Sunday. I'm thinking of smokin a full pork loin. The big loin like you get at Sam's or Costco. Could use some pointers please. I need this to turn out good. Thanks
#2, Large Big Green Egg, married for 43  yrs to same wonderful woman. Retired from UPS after 30 yrs. Bass fishing, wood working, are my current hobbies.

Grampy

Re: Pork loin help please
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 03:27:18 PM »
Dannyboy, this is how I do pork loins. Normally I'll buy the whole loin like you are talking about and cut it in half just because it is easier to work with.  I brine it using DM's pork loin brine recipe over night. Take it out of the brine and rinse off  and use plain yellow mustard as a binder and cover it with my favorite rub. Put it in my SI #2 at 225 degrees with 3.20 ounces of hickory (I also use pecan and sugar maple sometimes). Smoke it to an internal temperature of 150 degrees (approximately 3 1/2 to 4 hours). I double wrap it in foil and put it into a cooler with towels on top of it for 2 hours.
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

Glock_21

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 10:13:34 PM »

+1 on Divot Maker's brine for pork loin.  I usually cut them in half so I can use 2 different rubs.  Smoke at 200 - 225 until internal temp hits 145-150.  Keep an eye on it.  Those things cook way faster than you would expect.  I've had some done in 2 hours.

The brine seems to make a huge difference in how moist they stay.

Travis from North Central Oklahoma
SI #3 with Bella Smoke Generator, Traeger Texas Grill, Kamado Joe Classic 3 and Joe Jr, Anova WiFi 900 watt

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 08:59:41 AM »
wrapping a 1/2 in bacon might be a nice touch. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

dannyboy

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 10:14:20 AM »
Thanks guys. Now where is the brine recipe located at?
#2, Large Big Green Egg, married for 43  yrs to same wonderful woman. Retired from UPS after 30 yrs. Bass fishing, wood working, are my current hobbies.

Grampy

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 11:26:17 AM »
Thanks guys. Now where is the brine recipe located at?

Here's DM's recipe (with a couple of my comments in red)

1 gallon water (I use 1/2 gallon in the pan, then add the other 1/2 gallon in the form of ice when I've cooked the brine)
1 1/8 cup kosher salt (Brining over night I cut the salt down to about 3/4 cup)
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 Tbsp. granulated garlic
1 Tbsp. onion powder
1 Tbsp. Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1 Tsp. #1 curing salt (I do not use this when I brine loins)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 11:29:13 AM by Grampy »
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

dannyboy

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 11:38:21 AM »
This is awesome. Thanks for the replies. Can't wait to try it.

MarkS

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 05:50:59 PM »
We smoked a 2.5 lb. pork loin recently.  Brined for 20 hours, mustard/rib rub, smoked at 225 to 150 degrees, rested about 20 minutes.

Fantastic!!!

kona77

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 11:22:15 PM »
 I pretty much follow the same process as noted above.. Brine overnight and in the smoker at 225 until the IT hits 145.. I do agree with Glock and I have had some large pork loins (cut in half) done in 2 hours.  One of the my favorites things to smoke and they turn out moist and juicy.

I did put my last one under the over broiler for 5 minutes with my homemade BBQ sauce to give it a nice glaze.. YUMMY!!! :P 

Gene from Wisconsin
SI newbie (3-D)
Live/breathe for the outdoors..

Durangosmoker

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2017, 07:27:55 PM »
Add me to the fan club. Pork loin is probably my favorite thing to smoke, and it has always come out well. I use Tony's brine as above, with the pink salt if I want a smoke ring, and then just probe the meat and bring to 145.

Love the idea of wrapping in bacon!
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

JustChillin

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2017, 03:13:23 PM »
This thread got me motivated to smoke a pork loin. I brined it overnight in DM's brine, rinsed it, dried it and rubbed it with a combination of softened butter & mustard for a binder with a nice coating of coarse black pepper and garlic powder. It just went on the smoker at 225 and be be removed at an internal temp of 145. Will update later, hopefully with photos.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2017, 12:57:14 PM »
I also love making pork loins... they are super easy to make, relatively fast to smoke, and easy to chunk/seal/freeze.  I try to always keep some brisket, pulled pork, and pork loin chunks in the freezer.  Nothing like coming home dead and not even wanting to make dinner and then remembering how easy it is to reheat a chunk for smoked-something and how great it tastes with practically no effort.  Grab a bag of salad and some bread/butter and dinner is done.  :)
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

jpowell

• facebook
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2017, 01:42:31 PM »
Heh, smoking 2 loins right now! Pretty much same as all above: brine/wash/dry, mustard, rub, 225F. Today I'm trying 4.3oz of sugar maple since I have a bunch I haven't used yet.
You can follow my live temp probes at https://share.fireboard.io/02B011
Jason
>3D (my 1st ever smoker!) purchased 4/16
>4 Analog acquired from the founder of Auber Instruments in 11/22 with twin internal auber convection fans. Converting to digital with auber AW-WST1510H-W
>IT Guy
>Autocross and track day junkie
>Far Northern Indiana

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2017, 01:32:04 PM »
I prefer to cut whole loins into 1/3's rather than in half it cooks more evenly. If your using a probe thermometer, put it in the smallest piece.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud