Author Topic: Getting the correct size of chunks  (Read 4110 times)

bewdigger

Getting the correct size of chunks
« on: August 31, 2017, 03:16:01 PM »
I have had my #1 for over a year and after some questionable results with big box wood chunks, I ordered my smokinlicious wood. I got the double filet size as recommended here and by smokinlicious. Also constantly recommended here is to use 2.5 ounces or less for many meats.

Well the smallest chunks weigh 3 ounces. What method do you guys use to resize the chunks? I am asking what tool, and what size do you try to end up with? I am sure you probably don't want a 1/2 ounce chunk, that's getting close to a chip isn't it?

I feel like this is a stupid question, but I want to do this right for a change!   Thanks!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: Getting the correct size of chunks
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 03:49:27 PM »
I typically go with 4 oz of wood on a short smoke like chicken or ribs, and 6 oz of wood on longer smokes like brisket or pulled pork.  So I don't usually have to split the wood chunks.  But when I do, I use a wood chisel and hammer and try to split the chunk in half.    But for most smokes, the whole chunk works fine.   

You might want to try a whole chunk (maybe a 4oz) and see if you like the smoke on your meat.  If so, don't worry about splitting.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Jimeo

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 03:51:10 PM »
I just use a chisel and hammer and break down the largest chunks.  I would imagine many people use a hatchet...
Jim in Marietta Georgia
SI#2
Weber Genesis E-310

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 10:19:04 PM »
I use a hatchet.  Chisel and hammer are probably more precise. Just go with the grain.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

JustChillin

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2017, 07:17:55 AM »
Ditto on the hammer and chisel. It works fine for me.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2017, 10:29:37 PM »
Hammer and chisel work best for me. Dull chisel splits better than a sharp chisel. I would probably take off a few fingers with a hatchet. Some of the chunks from smokinlicious are just a touch too big to fit in the smoke box to get the lid down all the way. So I'm often splitting them into a variety of sizes. The size of the chunks depends on what I'm smoking. If it's a long smoke like brisket or butt, I try to keep the chunks larger. If it's a shorter smoke like chicken, I'll split the chunks so they are around 1-2 ounces. For ribs, maybe about 2 ounces or so per chunk. For fish or something where you might consider chips, I will split thin shards (rather than using those dry ole chips you can buy). I often like to use a combination of larger and smaller chunks in a single smoke. So, I just choose a combination of chunk sizes, measured by total weight, that is appropriate for what I'm smoking. I might split a few chunks down, then pick and choose and put the unused splits back in the box for later use.

The total amount of wood is personal taste. I like things on the smoky side. So 6-7 ounces for butt or brisket, 5-6 ounces for ribs, 3-4 ounces for chicken. Those are good for me. They might be on the high side for some. It also depends on the species of wood. Hickory and mesquite will be stronger, maple, pecan and fruit woods will be milder. You might find you want to start with a little less, then add more wood as you see fit. The smoking guide in the first post of the link below has pretty good recommendations for where to start.

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2151.0
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 10:41:13 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Meatball

• Smoke it if you got it ....
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2017, 02:41:04 PM »
Hammer and wedge or chisel works well
Bobby
Tennessee resident
Welder / Inspector

Limey

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2017, 07:26:54 PM »
I use an axe and a hammer-place the axe on the wood and hit the back of the axe with the hammer. Works well and all your digits are a foot away from danger!
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

kylelindsey

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2017, 11:14:04 AM »
And are you weighing the chunks to find out how many ounces they are?  Or are you just guessing as to the weight of each chunk?

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2017, 11:35:35 AM »
And are you weighing the chunks to find out how many ounces they are?  Or are you just guessing as to the weight of each chunk?
$20 and Amazon gets you a great digital scale which is a must for these smokers. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah