Author Topic: Selecting my first smoker  (Read 4500 times)

t-motheviking

• Did you turn it off and back on?
Selecting my first smoker
« on: August 30, 2017, 12:08:38 PM »
New to the forum though I have been lurking for quite some time while i secured funds for purchasing a smoker.  This will be my first smoker.  A bit about me I am an IT contractor who mostly works in a clinic in the small town of Morris, MN and am currently an online college student to further this career.  I own my own little two bedroom house where it's me and my dog Si and occasionally my girlfriend.  I take too many pictures of the mutt and have attached pics of him.  I fish and also hunt pheasant, fowl, and deer religiously although if I could hunt only one thing it would be waterfowl as I am absolutely die hard in my chase of them no matter the weather.

Now about my cooking and how I got here.  I love grilling and cooking in general.  I own a cast iron charcoal grill that I use all the time when it's nice out.  When it's winter I use my various cast iron skillets at least 5 times a week.  I firmly believe in cooking with fire and iron and will admit that I was planning on my first smoker being a WSM.  However between a full time job and online college I decided that a pellet grill or electric smoker would suit me better as I won't often have time to watch a charcoal cooker. For the longest time I thought electric smokers were poorly made and didn't last because I only knew about Masterbuilt and Bradley smokers and had read too many reviews about the heating elements going out.  When I learned about Cookshack and discovered that electric smokers can in fact last and turn out quality food I decided to save the money for one.  As I did more research I came across the smokin-it website and originally thought that since they were in a way "copies" of cookshack they were inferior.  After more research I found this forum and started reading through it and decided I was definitely wrong about the quality of Smokin-It.  Since I could get more space for less money I decided this MIGHT be money better spent then on a Cookshack.  The folks on this forum seemed very helpful and positive and were honestly what helped me decide between Cookshack and Smokin-It.  I will have the rest of the cash I need on Friday and will be most likely ordering a 3D.  Still slightly on the fence between a 2D and 3D but everyone here seems to say if you can afford to that you should go bigger!
Sorry this was so long winded I'm a college student and frequently write more then I need to!
T-Mo from Morris, MN (West Central MN)
AKA The Bear, Big Mo, Big Fuzz, The Viking
Smokin-It Model 3D
Cast Iron Lodge Sportsman Grill
Are electric smokers the mobile home of smokehouses?

NVW-SSV

Re: Selecting my first smoker
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 12:38:48 PM »
Welcome...  3D is the perfect fit for most, in my opinion.  You will want that extra space, I promise you......even if just to put full racks of baby backs in, or be able to smoke enough Boston Butts at one time for 100+ eaters.

Good luck!
Jody from western NC

Smokin' It #2 - Auber 1200 & bypassed
3.5D Wifi (07/18)

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 01:35:57 PM »
Welcome t-mo from SE Arizona. Get the 3D if the budget allows or the analog 3 if money is tight. Later on you can add a stand alone PID. You will like the extra room of the 3.

Nice looking pup. I have that same Lodge grill. Great unit. I've had mine about 20 years now.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 01:38:35 PM by old sarge »
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

t-motheviking

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 04:11:55 PM »
Sounds like the 3D is the way to go.  Because it's bigger then the 2D do I need to use more wood for the same amount of meat?

20 years? That's impressive!  But also why I bought the grill.  Every review i read said it would last forever if I cared for it like I do my skillets.
Smokin-It Model 3D

JustChillin

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 04:38:20 PM »
While I have the #2 and have had plenty of room for my use, the added room in a #3 my come in handy for some people. I don't have a cast iron grill but I love my cast iron skillets and griddles. All you have to do is take care of them and they will be with forever.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 08:00:40 PM »
Sounds like the 3D is the way to go.  Because it's bigger then the 2D do I need to use more wood for the same amount of meat?

20 years? That's impressive!  But also why I bought the grill.  Every review i read said it would last forever if I cared for it like I do my skillets.

No extra wood necessary. Depending upon your taste for smokiness as well as what you are smoking and the species of wood used 2 to 6 ounces is plenty. Start light and work your way up. An inexpensive digital scale is a big help as well as a camp hatchet for splitting.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

t-motheviking

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2017, 08:11:38 PM »
Ok cool! So I've also read a lot of people use a foil boat for their chunks and wood chips. Do you need to foil chips even if you have a chip screen (smokin-it is sending one with the smoker)?
Smokin-It Model 3D

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2017, 08:34:14 PM »
Foil is for leftovers or to cover the bottom of the smoker. I may be in the minority with that opinion but I get good results.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2017, 09:59:33 PM »
Ok cool! So I've also read a lot of people use a foil boat for their chunks and wood chips. Do you need to foil chips even if you have a chip screen (smokin-it is sending one with the smoker)?

I don't foil boat. There is no need to with quality wood, with proper moisture content.

You do not need to put chips in foil if you have the chip screen. You will only be using chips for cold smokes or short smokes (less than a couple hours), like fish for example. For the most part, you'll be using chunks. The foil boat method with chunks, which entails wrapping the bottom half of the chunk with foil, is only necessary to prevent combustion. Combustion indicates your wood is too dry. Soaking doesn't help that much if it's already too dry throughout. Big box and hardware store wood, like that from Western and Weber are too dry right from the start. You might consider purchasing wood specifically for smoking with the right moisture content, such as the double-filets from smokinlicious.com.

With nicknames like "The Bear, Big Mo, Big Fuzz, The Viking", I think a 3 or 3D is in order. 8)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 10:01:15 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

t-motheviking

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2017, 11:03:30 PM »
You do not need to put chips in foil if you have the chip screen. You will only be using chips for cold smokes or short smokes (less than a couple hours), like fish for example. For the most part, you'll be using chunks. The foil boat method with chunks, which entails wrapping the bottom half of the chunk with foil, is only necessary to prevent combustion. Combustion indicates your wood is too dry. Soaking doesn't help that much if it's already too dry throughout. Big box and hardware store wood, like that from Western and Weber are too dry right from the start. You might consider purchasing wood specifically for smoking with the right moisture content, such as the double-filets from smokinlicious.com.

With nicknames like "The Bear, Big Mo, Big Fuzz, The Viking", I think a 3 or 3D is in order. 8)

Ok awesome good info. I'm excited to be able to do a lot of short smokes for myself on week nights with small cuts.

Haha yeah when you're taller, wider, and heavier then all your buddies you get such names. But we do have plenty of cookouts/parties year round so extra space will be appreciated!
Smokin-It Model 3D

drains

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2017, 11:34:25 PM »
Welcome from Texas! I have many cast iron utensils and use them regularly. Lots of good points about the 3d and the standard #3, which I own. I dont need the pid so I went analog. Your needs may be different. Just wait until you unbox your smoker and you'll see what a value these smokers are. Good luck and hope to see you around the forum often.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 11:36:52 PM by drains »
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

t-motheviking

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2017, 12:06:43 PM »
Model 3D is ordered and will hopefully be here next week!  I believe it's coming with a chip screen, which will be great for short smokes and because I always have chips around for my charcoal grill.  I think I also get a bamboo cutting board and shipping was free!  Talk about a heck of a deal!  I also ordered a bag of hickory wood and a bag of cherry wood from them as well.  And yesterday I ordered a Cen-Tech digital pocket scale so I can weigh the wood because that seems to be important to do for consistent results.  Very excited to get my 3D and get smoking!
Smokin-It Model 3D

Jimeo

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2017, 12:10:36 PM »
Congratulations t-mo!  Your going to love it!!
Jim in Marietta Georgia
SI#2
Weber Genesis E-310

ibbones

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2017, 12:16:23 PM »
Howdy from South Texas.
Michael "BONES" T. 
Victoria, Texas
3D

t-motheviking

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2017, 03:51:34 PM »
IT'S HERE!!!  I had high expectations from the rave reviews here and somehow when I first got it out it exceeded them.  Shipping was fast and it was all packaged really nice.  I got a free chip screen and bamboo cutting board.  Always nice to receive free gifts when buying a product!  The booklet for the instructions was bound into a folder so I don't ruin it instantly.  Not a big deal but it's a nice extra touch that shows the company does put forth the effort on this.  Maybe I'm weird for noticing that.  It also came with the starter wood and my two bags of hickory and cherry that I ordered.

My first impression is that this thing is truly built like a tank.  125lbs doesn't sound like much but man is it stout.  The doors latch really well and feel like they create a good seal.  The casters are really nice and it rolls around on them extremely well.  I am definitely glad i went with the 3D over the 2D.  Seeing all the space in there and knowing how much I can do at once has me (and my buddies) pumped to put this thing through its paces.  I'm very critical of products I spend a good deal of money on and up until it arrived I was worrying if this is really worth the extra money over a masterbuilt or cajun cooker (the electric smokers an uncle of mine swears by but who will soon be outdone!) and did I need to buy the bigger one.  The moment I had it on it's casters and got to really examine it I can honestly say it's worth the extra money over cheaper electric smokers.  I can't imagine the quality of this smoker being outdone by any other brand that makes a similar product.  Every buyer's doubt and fear I had melted away the moment I saw this beauty set up!  My only advice to other buyers is to buy the cart if you have the cash.  These things do sit pretty low to the ground.  The big reason I didn't buy the cart was that my buddy and I are going to make a rolling rig on a large garden cart that will hold the smoker and we will construct storage shelves and a tabletop to make an all in one kind of stand.  Couldn't be happier with my early birthday present to me and I can't wait to fire it up!
Smokin-It Model 3D