Author Topic: First time brisket question  (Read 3622 times)

goocher5.0

First time brisket question
« on: November 01, 2017, 10:12:43 AM »
I recently bought a 12# brisket from the grocery store I work at. I'm in the process of smoking it as I type. It's been in since 11pm est last night. Right now the probe in the point says 190 and the flat is at 176. Does this seem to be rising too fast? I expected a 16 hour smoke. Also what am I to do if the point hits IT quicker than flat? The brisket is in diagonally on 2nd shelf, the point is toward the back of smoker, flat closest to the door.

Thanks for any help,
Chris

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: First time brisket question
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 10:48:00 AM »
Two things, move point probe to verify that it isn't in a fat pocket.  If it is correct, rotate the brisket so that the point is in the front of the smoker. 

Might even try putting the point probe temporarily near the flat probe to verify they are reading the same.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 10:50:24 AM by SuperDave »
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

goocher5.0

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 11:27:12 AM »
Thanks Dave!
Will do that now, thank you, will report back.

Moved the point probe to flat and was dead on with that reading. I put point probe back into a different spot in point and it was a couple of degrees lower than prior reading. The meat in general seems very tender putting probes into and out. I'm hoping point goes to 202, and flat hits 195. Does that sound ok for IT? Dinner isn't until 7 tonight, so I guess double wrap in foil and back into smoker at holding temp of 140?

Thank you,
Chris
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 11:36:03 AM by goocher5.0 »

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 12:23:23 PM »
I'm not a big fan of the holding at 140 for extended periods of time.  Foil wrap and towels in a cooler provide a much better result for me.  Toothpick both ends of your brisket.  If the toothpick goes in and out with no resistance, it is done regardless of the IT. 

goocher5.0

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 12:50:13 PM »
I'm not a big fan of the holding at 140 for extended periods of time.  Foil wrap and towels in a cooler provide a much better result for me.  Toothpick both ends of your brisket.  If the toothpick goes in and out with no resistance, it is done regardless of the IT.

I'll wrap it and use a cooler then. Thanks for your help today Dave. I appreciate it.

goocher5.0

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2017, 01:48:13 PM »
Just took the meat out and toothpicks went in and out very easily in the few spots I poked. I’ve never held anything in a cooler before, does this look alright. I used some old butcher coats I had lying around.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2017, 02:11:35 PM »
I wrap towels around the entire brisket - top and bottom to keep the heat in.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2017, 02:19:40 PM »
Center the brisket and throw a couple of towels on top.  5 hours from now and it will still be too hot to handle.

goocher5.0

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2017, 02:34:10 PM »
Thank you again!

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2017, 08:06:43 PM »
I go for 195 in the flat, and 200-205 in the point. The last brisket I smoked sat at 170-174 for about 6 hours (the stall). It took MANY hours for the flat to go from 174 to 195. When you reach your target temp, you can wrap in a double layer of foil and surrounded by towels, and rest up to 5-6 hours. Plan on at least 2 hours rest. The hunk of meat should be pliable and jiggly. Toothpicks are great for those who have an experience for "feel", but if you are not an expert, trust your thermometer. My thermometer has never failed me, and feel has corresponded to what my thermometer told me. I'm not sure when looking at forum posts whether it is EST or CST or Western time, but seems like your times are totally within normal. Hold at 140 only if you need to hold for more than 8 hours. Hold at 140 is a last resort if you have no choice.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 08:09:08 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2017, 09:09:51 PM »
Waiting on results.  :)

goocher5.0

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2017, 09:37:30 AM »
The results were, that it was pretty darn good. A couple of friends really enjoyed it, and my wife loved it! I thought it was good, since I cooked it, I was a bit more critical. The flat imo was a bit dry, had awesome flavor but I think it could have used an injection. The point was fall apart tender though. It was a great first time cook, and I appreciate the pointers I get. Looking forward to my next brisket smoke.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2017, 10:39:30 AM »
When I do full packers, I trim some fat cap, smoke fat cap down and put the trimmed fat on the top so that the brisket is in a thin fat sandwich while being smoked.  And I do inject with beef broth and garlic.