Author Topic: Another turkey breast question  (Read 2949 times)

volscrazy65

Another turkey breast question
« on: August 17, 2017, 08:39:33 PM »
I'm wanting to do my first turkey breast.  I've searched and read all the turkey breast threads on the forums and still have a brining question.  I've read multiple times to brine if the breast is not in a solution and not to brine if it is.  I have an 8.5 lb bone in Honeysuckle breast that has been basted with all kinds of goodness.  I've seen nothing about basting.  I took a pic so you could see exactly what the label says.  Should I brine this baby?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 08:42:38 PM by volscrazy65 »
John
Flintstone, GA
SI 3D
Weber Q 3200

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Re: Another turkey breast question
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 08:56:49 PM »
"Basting" is just another fancy word for pre-injecting. Ignore the advice not to brine if it is in solution (basted, in a salt solution, as yours says). I have been brining such turkeys for 20 years, and they have never been too salty. The pre-injection is no substitute for the slow osmosis process of brining. Also, it is all about achieving equilibrium. Brining will balance the salt between the brine and the bird, so it won't necessarily add that much salt, since the pre-injection is not actually that salty. If you are worried about saltiness, then reduce the salt in the brine by 25%. Turkey breast in particular is not terribly flavorful on it's own. Plus, you will likely be using it in a sandwich, etc. So it needs to be on the salty side to balance out the other sandwich ingredients. Think about how salty deli turkey is. There is a reason for that.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

volscrazy65

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 04:47:30 PM »
Thanks Kari!   :)
John
Flintstone, GA
SI 3D
Weber Q 3200

Grampy

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 07:35:55 PM »
+1 on what Kari said. I have always brined too with no problems.
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

volscrazy65

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2017, 10:05:24 PM »
What do you think about resting a turkey breast?  I've seen a couple people say they do it.
John
Flintstone, GA
SI 3D
Weber Q 3200

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 01:40:06 PM »
Oh yes, for sure rest it. I would rest at least 20-30 minutes minimum before you cut into it. You want to rest pretty much all meat. The larger/thicker the meat mass, the longer the rest.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

volscrazy65

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2017, 08:32:57 PM »
Thanks for all the help Kari.
John
Flintstone, GA
SI 3D
Weber Q 3200