Author Topic: Briskit  (Read 3234 times)

Burchillb

Briskit
« on: August 11, 2017, 07:38:23 AM »
I either don't know how to search or it's not on this forum, which I doubt.  I have a brisket my wife purchased and I've never even looked at a brisket before. I think I want to smoke it with my #2 but need some guidance. Where should I start??????????
Thanks
Burchillb
BurchillB-New to smoking
Bernard
Columbia, SC

Jimeo

Re: Briskit
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 08:03:38 AM »
Tap the "Smokin-It User Forum!" tab located upper left of the page, below the words Home, Help, Search etc.  This will take you to the main forum page.  Scroll down and choose "Beef."  When Beef page is open, on top right of page you will see a search box.  Type in Brisket and hit search.  That should take you to all forum post about brisket.  Hope that helps...
Jim in Marietta Georgia
SI#2
Weber Genesis E-310

Burchillb

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 08:48:57 AM »
Got. Thanks for the help. I'll  give it a try this weekend.
Thanks again
Burchillb
BurchillB-New to smoking
Bernard
Columbia, SC

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 10:28:29 AM »
Something else to be aware of is the "stall". Perfectly normal but frustrating. So do a search for that as well.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Burchillb

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 07:01:32 AM »
I know most people will not be interested in my story buy I was so surprised I've got to tell it.

Over my life I have probably tasted 5 brisket, all prepared by different people in different ways. I never tasted 1 that I thought was worth the time and energy it took to cook. Just an opinion set in stone.

Last week I found a choice brisket at "Chefs Store" that was on its last day of shelf life and was marked down from its original price to $2.05 a pound, 9.8 pounds. I bought it felling certain I would be better off to take my $20.00 and throw it out the car window and save my time for something worthwhile.

I then got on this forum and looked for cooking advise and prep instructions. Got a good idea of what I needed to do so out to the cooler I went. I put a rub of my own on the brisket and let it set for 6 hours.

I used about 5 oz of apple wood chips and set the smoker on 225. When I got to 185, 16 hours later, I pulled it off and wrapped it in aluminum foil for about 2 hours. When it finally came time to eat my family acted like they were starved. This was by far the best thing I've ever smoked and I'll definitely be on the lookout for brisket from now on. Thanks to all you guys for sharing you suggestion with me. It was wonderful
BurchillB-New to smoking
Bernard
Columbia, SC

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 09:17:01 AM »
Burchillb... I love Brisket.  I can smoke a whole packer and have a great meal right away and then vac-pac and freeze chunks so I can have another 7+ meals in the future.  If you don't have a good vacuum sealer then I'd encourage you to put that on your short list.

Congrats on your success!
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

Jimeo

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 10:08:10 AM »
Congrats Bernard!  Sounds like it was a success, post some pictures next time, some of us need them for inspiration!!! :)
Jim in Marietta Georgia
SI#2
Weber Genesis E-310

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 05:01:55 PM »
was on its last day of shelf life

Last day of shelf life means it is just starting to get tender. When I was a kid we always shopped in the "Green Meat" section (Discounted & Reduced) and I still do.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

ibbones

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2017, 03:27:28 PM »
Great first brisket story.  Hope you plan to do many more.
Michael "BONES" T. 
Victoria, Texas
3D