Author Topic: what the heck is wrong?  (Read 2168 times)

Greenenvey

what the heck is wrong?
« on: November 28, 2017, 03:55:50 PM »
oh I'm making some fry sausage, ive made every sausage and snack stick in this smoker except fry sausage and everything turned out perfect.. ok I just checked my sausage and its 145 degrees and the casing hasn't turned mahagony colored exept in a few small places, its kinda a grey color! and its very juicy I poked it to check temp and juice squirted out.. I'm running the jerky dryer the whole time just like I always do.  and its pulling out a lot of moisture into the fan. I'm hoping I'm not steaming this sausage and I don't know why it would be its never been a issue before... any ideas? and if it did steam is it going to taste like crap?
Laura
Boise idaho/ jamestown N.D.
si.#3 standard
Si.#3D
Weber Genesis E310.

TX Gent

Re: what the heck is wrong?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 06:19:25 PM »
Sounds like you nailed it with your own assessment ... grey = steaming. Sausage cases should be air dried to the touch before going in smoker or too much water used in the spice/grind stage and is perspiring out continually ? ... just my 2c worth.

Probably taste fine all other things done right ... just won't be as "pretty overall".
John ... Smokin #2  South of "Hells' Half Acre" and along ol' Deer Creek

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: what the heck is wrong?
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 12:37:23 PM »
Did you rest the sausage overnight?

I always rest my casings (I use fresh hog casings) overnight on the SR-1000 or the SRM-1000 which dries out the surface and a lot of the moisture.

If you went straight to the stuffer from the smoker, that could explain the issue. My guess is that your sausage will still taste OK, but just not look as appealing. The other side-effect is that you may find that the casings start peeling away from the meat a little bit, but at least they would still be edible.

BTW, I always rest my snack sticks and bologna overnight too.

Live and Learn I guess right?

Koze
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.