Author Topic: SAMS Brisket & Pork Belly  (Read 6988 times)

Walt

SAMS Brisket & Pork Belly
« on: August 02, 2017, 09:41:00 AM »
As I indicated in another post, a couple weeks ago, I was pleasantly surprised to find Prime brisket & pork belly @ SAMS. I went back yesterday & restocked. I hope this is a permanent addition.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 09:45:26 AM by Walt »
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: SAMS Brisket & Pork Belly
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 11:31:45 AM »
I get prime at Costco. I've gone the select and choice route at the commissary on brisket and the results are never optimum.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

ibbones

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 12:15:16 PM »
Our Sams does not carry Prime, but we do have Pork Bellies.
Michael "BONES" T. 
Victoria, Texas
3D

Walt

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 12:36:36 PM »
You may not have prime brisket in Victoria, TX but you have some great boat builders. I had a 24' El Pescador built there in 2010. Small town, really nice boat. Still love it! elpescadorboats.com
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

BobM

• H.H. The Bahbi Lama
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 12:37:22 PM »
At Sams Club you can push the butcher button and ask if they have pork belly.  Sometimes all they have in the customer cooler is the 2" strips but they can package a whole belly in the back. I now buy my pork belly at an Asian market.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2022, 07:19:00 PM by BobM »
-Bob from Huntington Beach CA
 Smokin-It model #1
 Taking BBQ to the next level, also own the big Weber Summit

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2017, 01:31:38 PM »
At Sams Club you can push the butcher button and ask if they have pork belly.  Sometimes all they have in the customer cooler is the 2" strips but they can package a whole belly in the back

Good to know. I don't think Costco has a butcher button. They don't seem to want you talking to the employees in the meat section. I can never find any. They are usually behind a big sheet of glass. I get the feeling they don't want you asking for anything "in the back".
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

RG

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2017, 05:12:32 PM »
I feel left out, my Costco doesn't have anything other than flats and they are not even prime. Pork belly is out of the question at Costco and Sams. You'd think Metro Atlanta would be a market that would desire such things but for whatever reason they don't carry the good stuff. If I want pork belly, I have to order it from Publix or a butcher.
Jason from Conyers GA

JustChillin

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2017, 06:11:06 PM »
You can find just about anything at the Buford Hwy Farmers Market.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

EFGM

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2017, 08:13:16 PM »
Sams in Dallas did have small pork Belly's but no Prime Goodness. Same in Plano had both and said they would have Prime going forward. Excel label at $3.49#
Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

ibbones

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2017, 10:54:20 AM »
You may not have prime brisket in Victoria, TX but you have some great boat builders. I had a 24' El Pescador built there in 2010. Small town, really nice boat. Still love it! elpescadorboats.com
I had to look up those boats.  Really nice looking.  Sad that I am so close to the water but I do not fish.
Michael "BONES" T. 
Victoria, Texas
3D

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2017, 11:23:19 AM »
At Sams Club you can push the butcher button and ask if they have pork belly.  Sometimes all they have in the customer cooler is the 2" strips but they can package a whole belly in the back

Good to know. I don't think Costco has a butcher button. They don't seem to want you talking to the employees in the meat section. I can never find any. They are usually behind a big sheet of glass. I get the feeling they don't want you asking for anything "in the back".
My Costco butchers always come out with just a wave but I have seen the button too.  There has been more than once that I asked for something that I didn't see out in the counter but they retrieved from the back and got me what I wanted. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

SconnieQ

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2017, 01:41:39 PM »
My Costco butchers always come out with just a wave but I have seen the button too.  There has been more than once that I asked for something that I didn't see out in the counter but they retrieved from the back and got me what I wanted.

Thanks. I'm going tomorrow and will look for the button.
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

SconnieQ

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2017, 12:54:53 AM »
Talked to an actual human in the Costco meat department today. She was very friendly, and eventually, the meat department manager came by too. Confirmed that there is no butcher button or bell at Costco, but it is okay to wave at someone behind the glass to get them to come out. They also have more in the back that they will bring out if you would like. Here is what they told me about the Prime whole Packer brisket situation at Costco. There currently is a shortage of Prime briskets, and Costco will eventually have them again, but don't know exactly when. When they start to get them back in, they will go to the Costcos with highest sales first, such as in large urban areas like Chicago, etc. In the meantime, they are carrying Choice whole Packers. They had five Choice whole Packers at my Costco today, plus more in the back. They looked pretty good to me. $2.79 per pound. They ranged from about 16.5 to 20 pounds. I would not hesitate to buy one of their Choice whole Packers, but at $3.79 per pound for Prime, naturally that would be my top pick. They said they get beef deliveries on Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 01:07:20 AM by SconnieQ »
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

drains

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2017, 12:11:42 PM »
We just started getting pork bellies here but so far only select packer trimmed briskets. They do have flats and whole "ultra trimmed" briskets but they are still select grade. Local Kroger and HEB have prime. Sams does have the best ground beef I've run across.
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

jagdad

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2017, 06:56:46 PM »
Just picked up some prime at Sam's in anticipation of the arrival of my #2, can't wait to try it out although I may have to cut it to fit or possibly "bow" the middle to fit whole.