Author Topic: Adult BLTs  (Read 1925 times)

RG

Adult BLTs
« on: July 23, 2017, 06:52:19 AM »
Who doesn't like a good BLT? Very few I'd imagine. We didn't feel like cooking up a big meal tonight so we went diving in the freezer and pulled out the pork belly we smoked not so long ago.

The better half decided that she wanted to make BLTs out of it so that's what she did.

She took some ciabatta and toasted it in the oven and cut some thick slices of that pork belly and crisped them up in a frying pan. The sandwich was built as follows : bottom bun spread with sun dried tomato pesto (good stuff!), pork belly, garden tomato slices, lettuce, provolone, fresh sliced avocado, just a little mayo on top bun. I had mine sans avocado but she and my son had it on theirs. Served with some hand cut sweet potato fries.

It was a simple, easy meal that hit the spot!

Jason from Conyers GA

Greenenvey

Re: Adult BLTs
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 07:07:49 PM »
Dang that looks delicious!
Laura
Boise idaho/ jamestown N.D.
si.#3 standard
Si.#3D
Weber Genesis E310.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 09:09:00 PM »
'Very nice pictures. Personally a BLT has to have a layer of peanut butter to hold the bacon in place. That's how we grew up, my wife hates it I have to make hers traditional.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 11:07:48 PM »
Funny you mention the peanut butter. I put a thin spread of tahini on my BLTs (along with adding avocado). The tahini was inspired by a great vegetarian sandwich I had in Minneapolis that had avocado, tomato, lettuce, tahini and mayo on a hearty toasted whole grain bread. The tahini created a perfect balance for a meatless sandwich. But I've also found that tahini enhances sandwiches with meat too. I have since made the veg version of that sandwich many times at home, sometimes adding bacon to put it over the top. ;D
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide