Author Topic: Black Residue on Shelves  (Read 2929 times)

ng

Black Residue on Shelves
« on: July 26, 2017, 03:39:05 PM »
Hi, all. I just got my #3D smoker and I noticed that there is a black residue with some visible depth on the wire shelves. It will rub off on a paper towel, completely saturating it in black. I ran them through the dishwasher, but there was no noticeable change. I have been scrubbing at them with paper towels and a mild abrasive meant for glass cook tops. It is taking about 45 minutes to clean each shelf. Before I potentially waste any more of my day, what is this stuff (welding residue?), do I really need to remove it, and if so does anyone have any tips on how to do so with stuff one might have around the house? Thanks in advance for any advice.

JustChillin

Re: Black Residue on Shelves
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 03:59:51 PM »
I have never experienced a black film but I clean mine with a steel scouring pad. They work great.
 https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Brite-Stainless-Steel-Scouring-3-Pad/dp/B002CQTXBC?th=1
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

ng

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 04:02:33 PM »
I have never experienced a black film but I clean mine with a steel scouring pad. They work great.
 https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Brite-Stainless-Steel-Scouring-3-Pad/dp/B002CQTXBC?th=1
Thanks, I give that a try.

ng

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 04:04:14 PM »
I just realized this may not be clear from my first post. The shelves have never been used, this is how they arrived.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 05:56:08 PM »
It is likely polishing rouge and typically comes off during the final phase of buffing. Makes the steel shine and removes any tool marks.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Gene

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 06:01:06 PM »
Hi NG, My model 1 shelves arrived bright and shiny.  It sounds like yours didn't.  I would contact customer service.  I bet they'll be able to help.
Model 1
Central Illinois

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 12:25:41 AM »
Some 0000 (4'0') steel wool or a scotch brute pad and soapy water with some elbow grease and you will be up and smoking in no time. Just be sure to make sure the racks are completely clean before using.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2017, 11:18:46 AM »
Put the shelves one at a time on your gas grill on high.  This is how I clean my shelves after a smoke.  It burns all the food bits and grease off the shelves.  Hit them real quick with the grill brush and they are ready. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah