Author Topic: 3D won't turn on. Where do I start?  (Read 12869 times)

40 caliber

Re: 3D won't turn on. Where do I start?
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2017, 05:40:48 AM »
OK, got the PID on and determined that wasn't  the problem. no problem the old one had a hole in it and the probe had stopped working so i am fine with that. Steve called me Sunday a couple hours after that text and walked through it. I discovered a shorted wire from the plug to the heating element. it fell off in my hand as i was looking at the wires. it was attached on first look. I know how to strip and reconnect a wire but want to get some help from someone that can help me find the cause. I don't want to reconnect the wire and short it again if there is a fault somewhere. So next saturday the saga continues.

I must say, i was quite amazed that steve called so quickly and so patiently helped.
Tom From NH
My two favorite things are  my Victory Motorcycle riding the tail of the dragon. and making the CUE!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2017, 10:26:39 AM »
Sounds like Steve took good care of you and you will be up and smoking as soon as you have some free time.  Good news indeed.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2017, 12:07:50 PM »
Still send your old one to Auberins.  For a very low price you may be able to have a restored back up. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

40 caliber

« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2017, 08:08:47 PM »
IT IS ALIVE!!!!!
Thanks to all of you , the power of the forums and steve's call last Sunday!

after talking with steve, i checked the relay and checked the wires. as i check the wires, one of them fell off in my hand. i got the connectors i needed today and replaced the wire as well as the PID and she is up and running. I may not have needed to replace the pid but it was in bad shape with a hole in the top and a probe that wasn't working.

anyway after i fixed the wire , i was back in business!

picture attached of the break  but the first meal back was a maple smoked chicken breast with carribean jerk seasoning. Yahoo!

I learned a lot. this smoker is pretty simple.
1. check your pid,
2. check the wires for any breaks and burns
3. turn the unit on and see if the relay light is on.

in my case the relay wasn't on but that is because the wire was broken
it's  decent trouble shoot to start to figure things .out.
do we have a sticky on what to do here? it feels like it would be helpful if i missed it.

tom

Tom From NH
My two favorite things are  my Victory Motorcycle riding the tail of the dragon. and making the CUE!

stout

« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2017, 08:55:52 PM »
great!!

what time's dinner

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2017, 09:02:46 PM »
Good to see you back in business Tom.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

40 caliber

« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2017, 06:36:25 AM »
Thanks for you help David!

Stout
Dinner tonight is Smoked wings! you coming?
Tom From NH

Limey

« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2017, 08:35:02 AM »
It looks as if the burnt out wire is one of the two wires with high temperature covering that connect to the element. If this is the case then I recall that a few other forum members have had the same problem. Might be a good thing to check first and might be good to alert Steve from a Q.C point of view.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

stout

« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2017, 08:46:19 AM »
Thanks for you help David!

Stout
Dinner tonight is Smoked wings! you coming?

yes of course

for the sake of quality control you understand

to be sure your equipment is up to snuff and all that

Walt

« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2017, 09:29:15 AM »
I have had my unit for just under 4 years. On 2 separate occasions in 2 different locations, I have had to replace broken wire connectors. In addition, the fuse in my (independent) auber had to be replaced, once.  All easy fixes once identified.  I have had the back off on 4 or 5 occasions including when I initially bypassed the analog controller. That's where I go first if its acting up. Glad things worked out for you. I still love the unit.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

40 caliber

« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2017, 05:50:33 PM »
It looks as if the burnt out wire is one of the two wires with high temperature covering that connect to the element. If this is the case then I recall that a few other forum members have had the same problem. Might be a good thing to check first and might be good to alert Steve from a Q.C point of view.

it is the wire to the element . steve was onthe phone with me when i figured it out
thanks
Tom From NH

Joe Rinaldi

« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2018, 07:46:55 AM »
I now have the same issue with my 2YO 4D.  I prepped and was ready to cook 3 racks of ribs for a party and Bam, no power.  I got ahold of Steve and he gave me 1 thing to try but that wasn't the issue.  I guess I'll need to reach out again.  Very frustrating to have this happen on a 2 YO unit. 
Weber 22 Performer
Traeger Texas Elite
Smokin-It 4D
Joe
Lovettsville VA

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2018, 11:29:53 PM »
You have probably already done this but if not, check your outlet with a device that works like a lamp or radio or something. You did not mention what Steve suggested so I am going to suggest you use a multi-meter and check for continuity of all the wiring and resistance of the switch and heating element.  I would check the power cord first, then the switch for proper operation as in open and closed, and go on from there. If you have not used a multi meter, here is a useful link.  There are many more. 
https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/how-to-use-a-multimeter
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 11:41:39 PM by old sarge »
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

40 caliber

« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2018, 04:43:38 PM »
Well i got 14 good months and it's acting up again. it's still working but it's starting down the same path as last time. right now the unit is working but the Pid doesnt seem to recognize the probe when i put it in. it gives the -H- error like it does when you dont put the probe in,(pic provided)  but the probe is there.

there was a puddle of water on top of the unit under the cover when i pulled it off. the night it's acting up.

1. pulled the pid. everything looks dry and clean
2. pulled off the back and had the 2 wires burnt (see pic)- replaced one red crimp, other one is working from plug in.
3. little box light on, - steve told me to make sure the light was on and it is (pic 3)

where to go now? my 3D is acting like a 3.  I was going to buy a new probe and try that. i figured that was short money but if anyone has better ideas, i am listening
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 04:46:12 PM by 40 caliber »
Tom From NH