Author Topic: Wings Greatest Hits Recipe  (Read 562 times)

will615

• View Profile
Wings Greatest Hits Recipe
« on: July 16, 2017, 09:42:43 PM »
This recipe is a compilation of a bunch of different recipes that I read in this forum. This is only my 2nd smoke in the #1. This transition to Lazy Q is killing me. Shouldn’t great smoked meat be more trouble to prepare?!
I rinsed the wings, patted them dry, and covered them with ordinary yellow mustard (not for flavor but to hold the rub). I spread them out on a cookie sheet, dusted them on both sides with my favorite rub (from Charlie’s meat market, Memphis, TN), then threw them in a Ziploc to sit in the fridge for 3 hours.
Sprayed the racks with PAM
I smoked them for 1 hr. at 250 degrees (outside temp = 85 deg). A lot of people recommended cherry for the wood. The only cherry that I had on hand is the size of rough sawdust. I measured out 3/4 oz. and it was a lot more than I normally use so I didn’t add any more. I made a small trough of aluminum foil to hold the sawdust.
After 1 hr., I took them out and mixed them up in honey and BBQ sauce. I microwaved the honey and sauce ahead of time to make them easier to blend. I have 30 wings and used about 4 oz of honey and the same of BBQ sauce.
I smoked them for another 1.25 hrs. I then took them to the grill (on high) and charred the outside for about 2 minutes per side.
They were cooked perfectly but they needed some spice. My wife and I used Rendezvous seasoning and my daughter used Slap Ya Mama. I am very pleased with the end result! Next time, I will use more rub in the marinade step. Otherwise, I wouldn’t change a thing. I’m amazed at how the smoker retains so much moisture in the meat. Please give me your thoughts and suggestions. Thanks!

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
    • View Profile
Re: Wings Greatest Hits Recipe
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 11:00:21 AM »
Nice lookin' wings Will!
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

drains

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 11:50:40 AM »
Sound like a great recipe. Wings look delicious.
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

pargolfr2003

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 08:49:52 PM »
Nice job Will! I make wings pretty often so I know good wings when I see em and those look awesome!
Tim D
Fayetteville, NC
Smokin It #2
Weber Kettle

EFGM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 10:28:52 PM »
Awesome Will, you have motivated me. Wings are now on my short list of new things to try.  Thanks
Doug
Carrollton, Tx
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D: ST1500CXLD modified: PG1000: TAPPECUE:
A “Briskitarian” is one of two types of people. Either one who smokes his or her “Hunk of Goodness” until it probes like Butter or one who enjoys his or her “Goodness” smoked until it probes like Butter.

will615

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 08:49:26 PM »
I cooked wings again this weekend, tweaked the recipe, and may have made my best wings ever! I marinaded them for 4 hours in Wickers BBQ sauce/marinade.  I placed them on a cookie sheet and dusted them with my favorite rib rub. This time I used 2.5 oz. of hickory in the smoker after reading someone here that preferred the smokier flavor (I agree). Smoked them for 1 hr @ 235 deg. Took them out and mixed them in a bowl with warm Sweet Baby Ray's sauce, honey, and siracha. Back in the smoker for another 1.25 hrs. Then I put them on a pre-heated/high gas grill for less than 2 minutes to crisp the skin. They didn't need anything else! I love the wings that my #1 produces!!