Author Topic: smokinlicious double filet hickory wood chunks  (Read 3106 times)

yankee

smokinlicious double filet hickory wood chunks
« on: July 12, 2017, 06:31:20 PM »
i just got my wood today and used one chunk at 225 for 5 hours on 2 slabs of baby backs saw almost no smoke when i cleaned out the wood box  most of the wood was unused even the bottom of the wood was still fresh looking ribs were still tender almost no smoke taste do i need to let this wood dry a little by the way i have a 3d i know its not the smoker it held rock solid at 225 HELP
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 06:39:19 PM by yankee »
Tony

Durangosmoker

Re: smokinlicious double filet hickory wood chunks
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 09:50:22 PM »
I usually cut my double filet chunks into 3 or 4 pieces, and have no problem. It seems to me that a single 4 oz chunk is really big, and is hard to get smoldering.
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

yankee

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 10:39:39 PM »
That's what I thought thinking its to much trouble I may just use plugs I got on eBay they burn great thanks
Tony

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 01:07:13 AM »
I just use a hammer and chisel, and split the chunks into 2-3 ounce pieces for longer smokes, and smaller pieces for shorter smokes like chicken or fish, so I end up with 2 or 3 chunks per smoke, rather than a single big chunk. It's no problem, and well worth the trouble considering the quality of the wood compared to other wood sources.

Were you using a chip screen or foil in the bottom of the smoke box? You should not be with wood chunks. Also, you might want to experiment with where you place your wood, front middle or back, over the holes or between the holes.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 01:10:54 AM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

yankee

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 03:29:20 AM »
Yea I'm going to try different spots in the box no I didn't use a screen just didn't get much smoke at all
Tony

Caca_Dau

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 04:46:14 PM »
I just finished my seasoning smoke on the 3D and split four chunks of the provided wood.  I spaced them lengthwise along the smoke box to determine where the greatest amount of heat was.  What impressed me was the fact the smoke continued during the full four hours.  The split chunks charred better at the back of the smoke box.  I also used the chip plate to ensure the split blocks did not start on fire.  For myself I'm going to split the smokilicious blocks, which are coming in this week.  More surface area of the split blocks seems to me like a better way to go.

volscrazy65

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 10:09:51 PM »
i just got my wood today and used one chunk at 225 for 5 hours on 2 slabs of baby backs saw almost no smoke when i cleaned out the wood box  most of the wood was unused even the bottom of the wood was still fresh looking ribs were still tender almost no smoke taste do i need to let this wood dry a little by the way i have a 3d i know its not the smoker it held rock solid at 225 HELP
yankee, take a look at this thread.

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=6142.msg56981#msg56981
John
Flintstone, GA
SI 3D
Weber Q 3200

yankee

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 06:48:59 AM »
thanks i split the blocks they work great thanks for the help
Tony