Author Topic: Let them eat cake!  (Read 4290 times)

RG

Let them eat cake!
« on: July 12, 2017, 11:50:01 AM »
Supposedly that's what Marie Antoinette said (it's a fallacy, google will tell you all you need to know, lol)

Since I am not Marie Antoinette, I can say it with conviction! Last year, the wife and I took a little trip to Chattanooga to go to the Tennessee Aquarium among other things, it was a little getaway for a few days to celebrate our 25th Anniversary. During this trip, we ate at a diner called "City Cafe Diner". I got a burger and don't really even remember what she got to be honest. The burger was fairly good, it was HUGE, that much I do recall. On the way in, we saw this display cabinet full of the most beautiful cakes I'd ever seen, spinning around on a carousel, so after dinner I ordered a piece of the "Seven Sins" cake to go. It by itself was $7.00! We got back to the hotel room and I took a bite and was floored! It was THE BEST cake I had ever tasted, bar none. My wife, who is not even a sweet eater, took a bite, then another, then another........she was in love, lol.

We returned back to the diner the next morning because she heard the breakfast was excellent. I got some pancakes and sausage, not a fan. Humongous portions but it was just meh. I came real close to buying a whole cake to bring home but didn't. The whole ride home I was thinking about that cake though :P

As luck would have it, my wife made a trip to Ohio with my Daughter to visit a friend and on the way back home decided to route herself through Chattanooga to get a cake. That's just what she did, she called ahead a day before and ordered a whole "Seven Sins" cake and brought it home. This thing is enormous and could easily feed 25 people. I have eaten my share as has my wife and son, we've given some away and still have half a cake left! It costs $71.00 but to be honest, it's worth every penny! I now need to find a way to freeze this thing. I am sick of eating cake but I don't want to toss it out from not eating it either.

This is what the fuss is about :

The Box

The Choices

The Cake

Prior to eating this cake, my favorite chocolate cake actually was from the Publix deli. Their Chocolate Ganache  cake is excellent, or so I thought. After eating the Seven Sins cake, it makes the Publix cake taste like a Little Debbie (no offense Debbie, I still like your snack cakes too!).

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
Jason from Conyers GA

ibbones

Re: Let them eat cake!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 11:56:51 AM »
Wow...that looks like a really good cake.
We are going through there in about a month on our way to see our kids in East Tenn.  Might have to stop for cake.
Michael "BONES" T. 
Victoria, Texas
3D

JustChillin

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 12:03:46 PM »
I am sure that it's the low calorie version :)
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

RG

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 12:33:23 PM »
We are going through there in about a month on our way to see our kids in East Tenn.  Might have to stop for cake.

Do it! You will not regret it. If you get the whole cake, plan on having people to help you eat it. It really is enormous. I imagine their other flavors are just as decadent.

I am sure that it's the low calorie version :)

If so, I'd hate to see the high calorie one! Actually, I take that back. BRING ON THE HIGH CALORIE ONE! :P
Jason from Conyers GA

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 12:56:01 PM »
Starting day 1 of a diet today.  I'm sure that I will be licking my computer screen on this photo before too long.  Major sweet tooth! 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

RG

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 01:18:09 PM »
Starting day 1 of a diet today.  I'm sure that I will be licking my computer screen on this photo before too long.  Major sweet tooth!

For that I apologize. This is a diet killer of a cake, lol
Jason from Conyers GA

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 01:55:53 PM »
We had one very similar in Vegas that was 21 layers.  The price was a couple of bucks a layer per slice.  :o  The girls all thought it was too rich but I loved it and went through a 1/2 gallon of milk. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

drains

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2017, 07:30:34 PM »
It looks so moist! That's quite a cake.
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

volscrazy65

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2017, 10:34:39 PM »
I live about 10 minutes from there and have never tried it.  Now I'm gonna have to stop and get a piece of that.  My son loves the Million Dollar Cake.
John
Flintstone, GA
SI 3D
Weber Q 3200

RG

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2017, 06:33:29 AM »
I live about 10 minutes from there and have never tried it.  Now I'm gonna have to stop and get a piece of that.  My son loves the Million Dollar Cake.

Wow! You're that close so you definitely should try it. Let me know what you think if you do, I can't see anyway possible that you wouldn't like it ;)
Jason from Conyers GA

bob bkk

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2017, 10:28:51 AM »
Jason who says you can't have your cake and eat it too :D man that looks like a killer cake.

ibbones

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2017, 11:55:19 AM »

Do it! You will not regret it. If you get the whole cake, plan on having people to help you eat it. It really is enormous. I imagine their other flavors are just as decadent.

Well, the place is just a few miles off out path so I have it set to swing by and grab a cake.
Thanks...
Michael "BONES" T. 
Victoria, Texas
3D

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2017, 12:52:12 PM »
Come on Jason, you haven't figured out how to make that thing yet???  ;D 8)
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

ibbones

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2017, 03:12:38 PM »
Thanks Jason for finding this place.  My wife and I stopped by on our way to East Tennessee and split a grilled onion and mushroom burger.  It was a really good burger...but not great.  I will order it again though.
We of course had to get cake.  They look amazing as you walk by to your table.  We each ordered a piece and three slices to go for our Daughter, Son-in-law, and granddaughter.
I had Chocoholic suicide, wife got Heath and had Hawaiian wedding cake, and two others that I cannot even remember to go.
I started my chocoholic cake in the restaurant but had to drop it in a to go box as well. Got to the kids house and it took us three days to eat all the cake.  A bite here and a bite there. 
I have the place marked on my GPS for when we go back in November.  So all you folks who live close by, make a day of it.  It's at least impressive enough just to look at the cakes.
Michael "BONES" T. 
Victoria, Texas
3D

RG

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2017, 05:05:55 AM »
Thanks Jason for finding this place.  My wife and I stopped by on our way to East Tennessee and split a grilled onion and mushroom burger.  It was a really good burger...but not great.  I will order it again though.
We of course had to get cake.  They look amazing as you walk by to your table.  We each ordered a piece and three slices to go for our Daughter, Son-in-law, and granddaughter.
I had Chocoholic suicide, wife got Heath and had Hawaiian wedding cake, and two others that I cannot even remember to go.
I started my chocoholic cake in the restaurant but had to drop it in a to go box as well. Got to the kids house and it took us three days to eat all the cake.  A bite here and a bite there. 
I have the place marked on my GPS for when we go back in November.  So all you folks who live close by, make a day of it.  It's at least impressive enough just to look at the cakes.

Yeah, the food is nothing special. It's average to good, but those cakes are killer!
Jason from Conyers GA