Author Topic: James dryer...  (Read 3650 times)

Tar54

James dryer...
« on: July 10, 2017, 08:34:38 PM »
Educate me guys...If I am to understand correctly this unit goes on top of the smoker and blows air down into the smoker correct? I understand this is to be used only after the smoke... how long should you smoke summer sausage before use of the fan? How long should I use the fan?I want to get this right as we love our summer sausage recipes.What wood is preferred for summer sausage? I have Hickory,Oak,Wild Cherry,Peach,Apple and domestic Cherry.Thanks in advance...your collective experiences have made my maiden smokes a huge success!This 2D has ran every day since its arrival! lol
Rick from Central Indiana
Smokin-It 2D...residing at my sons new home along with his soon to be Bride!
No.1 Analog with Fireboard controller

LarryD

• 3DW
Re: James dryer...
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 10:35:57 PM »
I bought one, but haven't used it yet...  I've been assuming it pulls air out of the smoker which would pull more in through the bottom.  Let's see what the experts say.  :)
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 10:37:09 PM »
I'm not a sausage maker, but NDKoze or PorkBelly are probably the reigning kings of sausage around here. I would recommend looking for their sausage posts, or maybe someone here can point you to one of their posts that cover the basics of sausage smoking on the SI.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

drains

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 11:21:03 PM »
It pulls moisture out of the smoker, I believe. It's an almost must have for making jerky. The two members Kari mentioned are both authorities on this subject. Good luck with your smoking.
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

Tar54

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 05:20:40 AM »
Another question comes to mind....can the internal meat probe be used in conjunction with the dryer?

Durangosmoker

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 10:11:57 PM »
I'm not an expert, but I do have a Jerky Dryer, and yes, it pulls moisture out the top of the smoker. Good question about the meat probe, but I don't see that the slight opening made by the probe wire running under the edge of the Jerky Dryer would be a problem.
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2017, 10:34:45 AM »
Others are correct that it pulls air out of the smoker.

Regarding the probe wire, I just set my dry on top of the wires. It isn't that heavy and isn't going to hurt your wires or affect their performance.

BTW, the dryer is pretty much a requirement for any type of jerky or freshly stuffed sausages/snack sticks.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Tar54

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2017, 04:57:03 PM »
Thanks for all of the replies....just what I needed to know!