Author Topic: 1st Brisket..Success!!!  (Read 7929 times)

EFGM

Re: 1st Brisket..Success!!!
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2017, 05:24:59 PM »
Walt, that might seem like a lot of brisket and it is, but I do a lot of meals for my church. I would guess maybe 1/3 of that is for church events. 6 of the 32 was a open house event I did for the company I retired from. I do not do catering, I just love to smoke meat, mainly brisket thus the "briskitarian" name. I also say I have a case of Brisketitus!
From my viewpoint, and nothing against those that cater, but I feel that those that do have never worked harder for less money in their life and they deserve every penny they earn. Not a slap to them by any means, but I'm just a backyard chef. I also provide a lot of vacuum packed protein to those I know who come out of the hospital, have a illness, etc. Whether it be Brisket, Chicken Breast, or Salmon, frozen vacuum packs are easy for them to prepare and it is a tremendous short period help and as long as I am able to do this I will.  AND, my bride and I eat a lot of the Goodness ourselves. And I will say that while I have been doing this a while, Tony and everyone on this forum has got me to enjoy it again, and for that I thank everyone! Didn't mean to get long winded, so I quit now.
Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

JustChillin

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2017, 06:05:04 PM »
Doug you are a good man to cook for your church. Keep up the good work!! I am sure that you are well appreciated and loved.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

Walt

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2017, 12:44:36 AM »
Your story sounds familiar. I have seen quite a few posts, on this forum, over the years beginning...... I am cooking this for.....a sick friend, a funeral, a wedding, a church event, etc. I also do this frequently for my own causes. Being blessed enough to have developed (or attempting to develop) a skill set and a passion for good food is an opportunity to help and a true expression of our effort, love and time to share. The forum is filled with such examples. Kudos to you Doug and to the rest of you. You know who you are......
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2017, 04:38:15 PM »
Interesting note about Sam's having pork belly and Prime whole packers. Is the pork belly whole (usually 9-11 pound slab)? Up until recently, I had heard that Sam's did not have pork belly, and also only had Choice whole packers (not Prime). Anyone else seen this at their Sam's?
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

EFGM

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2017, 07:29:15 PM »
Kari, I will check out the Dallas Sams on Monday and I am anticipating a reply about Costco sometime a Monday as well.
Doug
Carrollton

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

Walt

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2017, 11:51:01 PM »
It was 5lb sections of belly. There was probably only 10 of each (belly & prime brisket) out & they still had the normal supply of choice & select briskets as well. I will be returning this week so I see if its consistent.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

EFGM

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2017, 09:10:17 PM »
Kari, I will check out the Dallas Sams on Monday and I am anticipating a reply about Costco sometime a Monday as well.

Well, I didn't make it on Monday, but did check out Sams today. They did have small pork bellys, qty of 4, but nothing but select packers and choice flats.
Doug
Carrollton

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

SconnieQ

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2017, 10:43:05 PM »

Well, I didn't make it on Monday, but did check out Sams today. They did have small pork bellys, qty of 4, but nothing but select packers and choice flats.

I'd avoid those Select briskets. I haven't made it to my Costco yet, but will report back.
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

EFGM

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2017, 01:16:34 PM »
What I am told is that Prime Grade Packers are in short supply so they will funnel them to the stores who sell the most. Smart business decision I would say. I'm also happy to say that Texas is a big Briskitarian market. Guess that explains the higher pricing on them as well. Still $3.99 a pound yesterday.
Doug
Carrollton

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2017, 02:48:11 PM »
I'd avoid those Select briskets. I haven't made it to my Costco yet, but will report back.

I've actually had really good luck with them...  not a bad one yet.  The biggest issue I've had lately at Sam's Club is finding one where the flat is nearly non-existent.  The flat on many of them has to be somewhat less than an inch thick and half of that is fat cap.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

SconnieQ

« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2017, 03:30:43 PM »

I've actually had really good luck with them...  not a bad one yet.  The biggest issue I've had lately at Sam's Club is finding one where the flat is nearly non-existent.  The flat on many of them has to be somewhat less than an inch thick and half of that is fat cap.

The point is my favorite part, so if they are cheap enough, that would be okay with me. They'd have to be cheap to cheat you on the flat meat though.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

SconnieQ

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2017, 01:06:42 AM »
Talked to someone in the meat department at my Costco today, and confirmed that there is a serious shortage of Prime whole Packer briskets. In the meantime, many Costcos are carrying Choice whole Packers. They had plenty at my store, and they looked good. Once the Prime Packers start coming back, they will go to higher-sales Costcos in large urban areas first, then eventually will be stocked again in all. They could not tell me how long that would be, but seemed positive that they WILL eventually have them again, which is good news for my membership. It's one of the main reasons I have a membership to Costco.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

EFGM

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2017, 10:52:28 AM »
Kari, that is the same story I got from via a friend from their corporate. Also said that only 6% were rated prime. (not sure about that) Since I have found some Same Clubs in DFW are in fact now stocking Prime, I'm wondering if that change is perhaps what is causing this shortage. (Just thinking out loud) Costco label is IBPC and Sam's is Excel.
Doug
Carrollton

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

SconnieQ

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2017, 01:17:06 PM »
I have also heard that only around 3-6 percent of beef is rated Prime. That does make me wonder about Sam's having an impact on that. Also, there is a huge increase in the popularity of BBQ and smoking. And then there's the fact that there are only 2 briskets per animal. :)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide