Author Topic: Newbee's question  (Read 3191 times)

polarlys

Newbee's question
« on: July 07, 2017, 05:22:38 PM »
Hi.  New to the Smokin it forum with a question. 

I've been smoking meat / fish for awhile with a home made electric/propane rig and looking to upgrade and downsize to something easier to use and more manageable to operate and like what I see here with the Smokin-It rig.   I gather from what I see that it is designed to create smoke using wood chunks or coarse chips with their optional chip plate.   I've been using hardwood sawdust with my rig for years and wonder if with some slight modification these units could be used with sawdust ???   Could I use a solid steel plate in the smoke box to keep sawdust and ash off of the burner and create my smoke ????  If this would not work it's NOT a dealbreaker for my interest but just something that has peaked my interest.  I have done both cold and hot smoke for awhile.

Thanks all,  Hope to be around for awhile. 

Roger from NJ
retired Police Officer
retired US military
Roger from NJ
Somerset, NJ
retired Police Officer
retired Air Nat'l. Guard
US Army '69-'72 (20th Engineers Vietnam)
SI-3d

JustChillin

Re: Newbee's question
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 07:21:39 AM »
Roger, I can't answer the use of sawdust question but I will let you know that using my SI smoker has been a true pleasure. The quality of the smoker and the ease of use confirmed that I made the right decision in purchasing the SI2.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

polarlys

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2017, 08:51:26 AM »
ThanX JC.   OF the ones I've reviewed the SI definitely appears to be the best made and easiest to use.  AND best of all the user reviews look to be the most satisfied.  Is the "d" models worth the extra $$$.  I was thinking about the model 2d but if the sophisticated electronics are a luxury I can do without I would consider the 3 for the extra space.  Either way its a lot of $$ and still pondering that thought.

Roger in NJ
Roger from NJ
Somerset, NJ
retired Police Officer
retired Air Nat'l. Guard
SI-3d

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2017, 03:49:52 PM »
Roger - You are talking about blocking the holes in the bottom of the food box. A thin piece of steel might work or a piece of stainless steel window screen as well as a layer of heavy duty aluminum foil.  You will have to experiment to see what works best for you.  I just use the chunks and have been very satisfied with the results. As for the ash hitting the burner, it is minimal with most staying right where the wood chunk was set.  Have you settled on which Smokin-it you might eventually get?
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

polarlys

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 09:12:06 AM »
ThanX Sarge.   Your thoughts are pretty much what I was thinking.   Never having seen one of these smokers I'm only going from the video's I've seen and what I've read.  Of course it's no big deal for me.   Chunks of wood are readily available but I've got lots of hardwood sawdust too.  From what I see I suppose the sawdust will burn rapidly giving off a lot of smoke for a short time.   Not sure that's the best route to go but experience will drive the bus on this subject.   I'm leaning towards the 3d model or at least the 2d.  I like the extra shelf size of the 3.

In my current homemade rig I use about a gallon jug volume of sawdust and try to get it to smoulder slowly lasting 3-4 hrs. or more if possible.   If I can get it right it works well but sometimes it takes some fiddling with the blower speed.   Temperature is another issue altogether. 

Roger from NJ
Army 69-72
NJANG 1980-2000
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 09:15:26 AM by polarlys »
Roger from NJ
Somerset, NJ
retired Police Officer
retired Air Nat'l. Guard
SI-3d

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017, 11:39:53 AM »
Roger -  The  integrated controller (manufactured by Auberins) on the D models eliminates the temperature swings common on the analog smokers, which are not a hindrance to good food. On the analog, the controller cycles on and off slowly, allowing the temperature to exceed the set temp by maybe 15 to 20 degrees; then cycles off till the temp drops below the set temp by an equal amount. Then it cycles on again.  The D model controller cycles constantly, keeping the temp within a couple of degrees of your set temp. In the end, the resulting Q is the same.  The D model also has a built in meat probe and the ability to cook at temperatures higher than 250 degrees.

If the latest in electronics are not needed, get the 3 for the extra real estate.  Later on if you want you can add the  stand alone Auber controller. 
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Limey

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2017, 09:45:11 PM »
I very much agree with David-go for the extra real estate in the 3 and add a separate Auber later if you feel you really need it, which you may not. I have two 3s, both with separate Aubers, and frequently do not use the Aubers. Aubers are very helpful for cold smoking where temperature control is vital, unless you have an external cold smoke generator. They also enable you to cook over 250 degrees and to go into an automatic hold cycle at the end of the smoke. Otherwise they are needless complexity IMO.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

polarlys

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 01:53:10 PM »
I have an external smoke generator I have rigged up and have pretty much perfected my getting the most from it.   Not sure just how I would use it with a SI unit.   I would hate to even think about cutting a hole in the side which is how I use it now with my current homemade rig.  I was trying to think how I could somehow manage to pipe smoke in through the bottom vent but nothing came to mind yet.   8)

Still working on this

ThanX all for your valued input.

Roger from sunny, hot & humid NJ

PS: Limey,  where are you in the Keys.   We've spent the past few winters in Key West for awhile at the Navy base.   Nice place to spend Jan/Feb
Roger from NJ
Somerset, NJ
retired Police Officer
retired Air Nat'l. Guard
SI-3d

stout

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2017, 02:25:38 PM »
i just wouldn't use an outside smoke maker with an SI

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2017, 02:42:52 PM »
Roger, there are a few here that use an external smoke generator for cold smoking.  You can tube it in via the existing holes in the smoker.  The chip screen insert and some foil in the bottom of the box is everyday smoker use for me. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Limey

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2017, 09:44:38 PM »
Hi Polariys,
I,m in Marathon, about 60 miles east of Key West and spend winters there and summers in upstate New York. I use an external smoke generator for cold smokes (Smoke Daddy, Big Kahuna) and it works great. just pipe the smoke from the generator down the blow hole on the SI and it finds its way out of the bottom drain hole. It's the only way I can really cold smoke since spending so much time in warm temperatures-I hate that white stuff!
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.