Author Topic: First attempt....  (Read 2139 times)

Tar54

First attempt....
« on: July 06, 2017, 05:52:34 PM »
Our first attempt was a success! At least the pile of bones says so! lol The smoker performed flawlessly.I grabbed some baby backs and removed the silver skin and rinsed and patted dry and slathered with yellow mustard and then used Famous Daves rib rub and covered and allowed to sit over night. Set the temp at 235 for 6 hours....at 4.5 hours it was checked and it was very close to being done...at that time some sweet Baby Rays was applied and they were allowed to cook a additional 30 mins and then the feeding frenzy onslaught ensued....lol
Rick from Central Indiana
Smokin-It 2D...residing at my sons new home along with his soon to be Bride!
No.1 Analog with Fireboard controller

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: First attempt....
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 10:02:29 PM »
Well done Rick. The first smoke is always memorable.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 11:05:28 PM »
Congrats! It a good feeling to get your first successful smoke under your belt. I've had my #1 long enough now that I know I can smoke baby-backs at 225, open the door at 5 hours and they are perfect every time. I serve sauce on the side, so no saucing and putting back in the smoker for me. Just a 1+ hour rest double wrapped in foil. At 235, baby backs would almost certainly be over-cooked at 6 hours, so good thing you checked at 4.5 hours.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Tar54

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 04:34:03 AM »
SconnieQ....235 at 6 hours would of been to much...one section of rib was ever so slightly dry.If they had been let go any longer the outcome would not of been as good as it should of. I will adjust accordingly and employ others techniques. I am willing to learn! Thanks for all of the help!
Rick from Central Indiana
Smokin-It 2D...residing at my sons new home along with his soon to be Bride!
No.1 Analog with Fireboard controller

JustChillin

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 07:30:59 AM »
Looking good!! I also agree at 225 - 230 mine always seem ready at the 5 hour mark.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

drains

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 11:59:44 AM »
Baby backs in my #3 go for 4 hrs @ 225 then add sauce and another 30 minutes in the smoke. I like a little "tug" on my ribs, not fall off the bone. Yours look really good and like you said the pile of bones is the real proof that they were really good. Congratulations on the successful first smoke!
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3