Author Topic: Seasoning my little guy  (Read 5747 times)

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Re: Seasoning my little guy
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2017, 01:50:14 PM »
I have a remote with a single probe....do I need a dual probe thermometer?  I thought that the rheostat controller would be close enough for ambient?

Good point. To tell you the truth, I used to drop in an ambient probe when I first got my smoker, but I don't use my ambient probe anymore, unless I am doing a cold smoke, like salmon lox. The rheostat works fine for all of my smokes over 150. If you find that your smokes are taking much longer or shorter than expected, you might find a need to check the ambient temperature, but that is scenario is unlikely.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2017, 06:27:19 PM »
I have a remote with a single probe....do I need a dual probe thermometer?  I thought that the rheostat controller would be close enough for ambient?

Do yourself a favor and never, ever measure the box temp unless you have an extremely good reason to believe the smoker is malfunctioning.  It will drive you nuts and provide you no value at all.  The box temp is going to swing +/- 30 degrees during the smoke, but over the long haul it all works out with no ill effects.

Do you need a dual probe meter?  Probably not need, but I do find that I use both probes quite frequently.  If I have a large brisket I'll cut it in half and probe both the flat and the point separately.  I frequently smoke butts two at a time and will probe both.  Even for a Turkey I'll probe two locations so that I have a sanity check and backup.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2017, 09:54:22 PM »
Larry makes a good point. Checking the ambient temp on the #1 will also make you nuts. Besides my Maverick, I have 2 or 3 inexpensive digital thermometers around, similar to the link below, for when I want to probe more than one place on a single piece of meat (like turkey white meat and dark meat), or when I want to probe multiple pieces of meat (like whole packer brisket, which I cut in two pieces to fit in the #1, or two butts).
https://www.walmart.com/ip/ThermoPro-TP04-Large-LCD-Digital-Cooking-Kitchen-Food-Meat-Thermometer-for-BBQ-Grill-Oven-Smoker-Built-in-Clock-Timer-with-Stainless-Steel-Probe/549681020
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Buck

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2017, 02:15:55 PM »
I have never measured box temp and I never will absent a major malfunction with my s1 - there is no reason for it.  Just probe the meat.  And check that the temp light is on.
Buck
Chicago, IL