Author Topic: How long is too long to try and keep brisket resting?  (Read 6677 times)

jpowell

• facebook
How long is too long to try and keep brisket resting?
« on: July 01, 2017, 10:45:09 AM »
Seems the general rule of thumb is to rest meat double foiled and in a cooler (or smoker or oven at 140F) for 2-4hrs. But, how long could you realistically stretch that? Could you do 6?  How are restaurants keeping Q available throughout the day?
For instance, my 13lb brisket finished way earlier than I planned...guessing it's a lot leaner than the few others I've done (choice not prime).  I'll need to at least let it rest 4hrs, but longer would be helpful.  Just curious if there are some more tricks to "hold" a brisket before serving w/o drying it out.
PS ... Dear Costco, why the heck did you not have any packers in stock on the Friday before the 4th weekend? Grrr.
Jason
>3D (my 1st ever smoker!) purchased 4/16
>4 Analog acquired from the founder of Auber Instruments in 11/22 with twin internal auber convection fans. Converting to digital with auber AW-WST1510H-W
>IT Guy
>Autocross and track day junkie
>Far Northern Indiana

stout

Re: How long is too long to try and keep brisket resting?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 11:14:28 AM »
i've done above 6 .. might of been as long as 7 and it was still very warm to hot
so you can go 6 .. i foil wrap in a large towel and put it in a cooler

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 12:03:21 PM »
i've done above 6 .. might of been as long as 7 and it was still very warm to hot
so you can go 6 .. i foil wrap in a large towel and put it in a cooler

I also wrap in foil, wrap in a towel, and drop in a cooler and have easily gone 6 hours before.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

jpowell

• facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2017, 01:04:51 PM »
Thanks! Good to know 6-7 is no biggie!
I usually double foil, wrap in 2 towels, and toss in a cooler which then sits in the sun :)
Jason
>4 Analog acquired from the founder of Auber Instruments in 11/22 with twin internal auber convection fans. Converting to digital with auber AW-WST1510H-W
>IT Guy
>Far Northern Indiana

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2017, 06:48:18 PM »
  How are restaurants keeping Q available throughout the day?

I can't speak for all places but....
Wrap the brisket is several overlapping layers of cling wrap. Wrap until you think it will not leak. Wrap with an additional layer of heavy duty foil. return brisket to your smoker place in oven set at 145.

If you are traveling or away form a power source. Use the cooler and towel method but prep your cooler by warming it with a large pot of boiling water poured directly to the cooler. Let that water warm your cooler for an hour before you pour it out and add your brisket. By preheating the cooler you add more than a few hours.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

jpowell

• facebook
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 10:38:16 AM »
My wife changed plans so we ate the brisket earlier than initially scheduled. However, I did do 2 8lbs butts right after the brisket. One was foiled when it hit 160 the other not. Naturally, the foiled butt finished much earlier ... I knew it would, but it was way earlier than I expected (took it to 200IT). I double foiled it, 2 towels, and into a cooler it went from 6am until 1pm.
I shredded both butts at 1pm and the one foiled since 6am ended up slightly tastier than it's twin that rested only 2hrs.
Both were excellent, but the foiled and long rest butt tasted better. Not sure which variable made the difference, but I'd like to repeat the experiment :-)
Anyway, I feel much better about doing long rests now.
Jason
>IT Guy
>Far Northern Indiana

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2017, 06:30:24 PM »
Not sure which variable made the difference, but I'd like to repeat the experiment :-)

Frequent experimentation is a great strategy!  ;)
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2017, 10:09:10 PM »
Long rests only make the meat better in my opinion. I always allow plenty of time for the rest. It's just as important as the cooking. Properly wrapped in a cooler, I've rested briskets 5-6 hours and they were still hot, and probably could have gone longer if I needed to.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2017, 06:36:31 PM »
I double foiled it, 2 towels, and into a cooler

While this may have worked fine this time, imagine if you will...

The butt is overly juicy and leaks beyond the foil wrap, the towels wick up the meat juice and you have no way to reclaim it.

Wrapping in cling wrap or sealing butts in 2 gallon zip top bags then wrapped in foil & or towels insures any juice that in lost remains in contact with the meat.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2017, 11:05:38 PM »
I double foiled it, 2 towels, and into a cooler

While this may have worked fine this time, imagine if you will...

The butt is overly juicy and leaks beyond the foil wrap, the towels wick up the meat juice and you have no way to reclaim it.

Wrapping in cling wrap or sealing butts in 2 gallon zip top bags then wrapped in foil & or towels insures any juice that in lost remains in contact with the meat.
I achieve this same juice saving by setting in a foil 1/2 steamer pan. Usually plenty of juice to use as finishing juice on the sliced meat. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

jpowell

• facebook
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2017, 05:12:37 PM »
I've yet to have any juice leak onto the towels and I've done probably 25 butts now and 3 briskets.
I'm either lucky or good ... perhaps both? ;-)
Jason
>IT Guy
>Far Northern Indiana